PDA

View Full Version : What are the positive facts about Yahoo?

Chris Edgell
January 9th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I DID do a search, "hating Yahoo" and got three threads that didn't amount to much. If you can direct me to a comprehensive thread on the subject of Yahoo, please do so.

The last straw with the way they save information happened today. I only saw this because I sent myself a carbon copy. Since they closed their discussion boards they seemed to seek another way to assert their presence. They had offered me a chance to "Update my profile" and I didn't go for it; now I see that since I didn't, they have taken to printing, Chris buzzed up "blah, blah, blah" and they have picked out news stories that I read more than 4 months ago. It REALLY seems like an abuse of old data.

What good is Yahoo? Is it the default email for AT&T? Will it get out of my life if I change my email provider? Do I need Yahoo for something that I'm not aware of?

judge jankum
January 9th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I had too many issues with yahoo, I dumped it for safe-mail.net

Ewingo401
January 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I love their fantasy football!

JDShu
January 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Homepage has too much stuff for a search engine. I prefer the simplicity of Google. Although Yahoo Finance is pretty cool.

CharmyBee
January 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Homepage has too much stuff for a search engine. I prefer the simplicity of Google. Although Yahoo Finance is pretty cool.

That's okay, since Yahoo! is a directory of links, always has been since 1994. Yahoo is by no means a search engine itself.

3rdalbum
January 9th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I've met some really good people on Yahoo Groups.

Chris Edgell
January 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
You know, it's possible that I've focused on some small negative and lost sight of the positive. I've been known to do that, I must admit.

Project PWNED
January 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Yahoo turned over information regarding a Chinese person to their government for being "anti-government" and that man has not been seen since.

chucky chuckaluck
January 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I love their fantasy football!

I've met some really good people on Yahoo Groups.

+2

Yahoo turned over information regarding a Chinese person to their government for being "anti-government" and that man has not been seen since.

he's in sweden disguised as a blond girl. (negative points to yahoo for that one.)

steveneddy
January 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
he's in sweden disguised as a blond girl

That was me and it really didn't really amount to much.

JDShu
January 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
That's okay, since Yahoo! is a directory of links, always has been since 1994. Yahoo is by no means a search engine itself.

I would argue that being a search engine was it's primary function in the beginning. And who used those links anyway :P They've diversified today since effectively losing to Google.

jayze
January 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM
They like me! They must do cos they follow me around a lot! ( oh and google too lol);)

hobo14
January 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm not a fan. I don't go near Yahoo anymore, since a customer service disagreement with them. I'll enjoy watching their slow (or fast) spiral down into oblivion.

gn2
January 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I met my wife through Yahoo personals.
Haven't used Yahoo since.

squilookle
January 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
There's just something about yahoo I've never liked couldn't tell you what it is though.

Nerd King
January 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I met my wife through Yahoo personals.
Haven't used Yahoo since.
Was she THAT bad?

jayze
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
:lolflag:
Was she THAT bad?