PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Verizon USB760 and YaST

ngronewold
January 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM
So after following some helpful hints on this forum I finally got the computer to recognize my new USB760 device. All is configured. No more annoying "unlock keyring" popup. It activates the device, green light blinks, all systems go.....but never connects.

It once asks for the device password (not even sure why it has one). I use all that Verizon tech support suggests. It seems to accept it, but still nothing.

BUT the techies at the retail store where I bought the thing are telling me I need to install YaST. That will allow the device to connect to Verizon's network.

Sooo....are they right? Is this a wise thing to do? I have everything up and running beautifully, except this Verizon USB760 device. I'm willing to dump them if necessary and go check out Sprint. Also willing to try YaST, but only if it doesn't effect any other part of my system --- I worked so hard to get it moving like it is now and don't want to risk screwing it up!

Anyone have experience with this?

RHTopics
January 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM
The techies at the retail store where you bought the thing are confusing the different Linux distributions.

From my experience, YaST is the setup tool or utilities for openSUSE Linux and does not work with Ubuntu.

ngronewold
January 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I figured as much -- the YaST website clearly says openSUSE and doesn't mention Ubuntu anywhere. I'll keep digging for a workaround. Verizon tech support insists I need to install their VZAccess software, though they don't offer any Linux versions.

Thanks for the help.

ngronewold
January 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Well, I still can't figure it out. Everything seems to be working like it should, but it just refuses to connect. The device is recognized, and I can have it dial out to look for the Verizon 3g network (multiple Verizon techs confirmed I have the number, username, password all correct). Green light goes a-blinkin', wheels start a-turnin', but it never connects.

I don't think I need to install any additional software. Maybe it's just impossible to get this running in Ubuntu 9.10?

Anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong? I may have to give Sprint a shout.