PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Restriction with MAC vs. WPA2?

moore.bryan
January 9th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Trying to get my 802.11n router and Asus to play nice and give me the faster transfer speeds I'm supposed to be getting, I began to wonder this: why should I use a password of any kind if I set my router to only allow certain MAC addresses access?

Any input?

Oh, and somewhat unrelated, anyone have an idea why iwconfig is telling me my bitrate is 0?

changingstate
January 9th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Easy, I can sniff MAC addresses off an unencrypted network and spoof them inside two minutes. Turn the encryption on if you can, even WEP is better than nothing.

moore.bryan
January 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I have WPA2 (AES) and a very complicated string, so I was just wondering why not just MAC alone was good enough. Your answer was enlightening; thanks changingstate!

Now, I've seen video of a conference where Mark Shuttleworth "went off" about passwords vs. authentication. I have a simple understanding of that method and employ is with my ssh connections. In theory, wouldn't I be able to do the same thing between my lappie and router?

changingstate
January 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
As I understand things, yes, it can be done, though it's not something I've practical experience with. You'd want to head in the direction of EAP-TLS, apparently wpa supplicant and wicd support it.

moore.bryan
January 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately, it would seem to get my D-Link router to use 300mb/s at 802.11n, I have to use WPA2 (AES). Oh well, it was a nice fiction.