PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Bochs

Rykyu
January 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install Bochs x86 PC emulator. I've downloaded the "bochs-2.4.2-1.i586.rpm" package and installed alien to convert it in .deb package, but it doesn't work.
I tried some commands like "sudo alien --to-deb *.rpm", or "-i", "-T"... but it always answer me :

error: incorrect format: unknown tag
Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package bochs: postrm prerm
Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
Unpacking of 'bochs-2.4.2-1.i586.rpm' failed at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Rpm.pm line 155.I know I'm not the first to be in trouble with alien, but I think that it works perfectly and that it's only I don't type the right command. Maybe I took the wrong package, I don't know...

Thanks in advance for your help.;)

gsmanners
January 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
You do know that Bochs is in the Ubuntu repository? Granted, it's not as up to date, but you're less likely to run into an installation problem.

Rykyu
January 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
It's a shame but until one hour after my post, I didn't try.
Now it's installed, but I still would like to know what was wrong, because if I always depend on apt-get...

Thanks nonetheless :)

gsmanners
January 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Your mistake was in relying on a build that isn't right for or possibly even breaks the system you are using. If you want to go the compile from source route, that's fine. But I wouldn't rely on a Fedora package to work in a Debian-based distro.

Rykyu
January 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Ok. Anyways, I've installed the last version by compiling source code.

Thank you for your answer ;) .