PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing an mp3 player that is compatible with Banshee

luchalibre383
January 8th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I would like an mp3 player that is completly compatible with Banshee. I have a large mp3 collection and use banshee to manage my collection. I would like to be able to see the files correctly listed and be able to add and remove them from within Banshee. I also would like the albulm art to be displayed with the song also.
I had a mp3 player from the Best Buy brand insignia and it did not work correctly. Once it was plugged in I could only transfer and remove the songs thru nautilus and it was a long process to locate and transfer the song. Also the album picture would not display.
I am hoping not to repeat this mistake and want an mp3 player to work properly with Ubuntu and banshee so I can properly promote Ubuntu with friends and Family.

I am thinking of getting the Sansa Fuze, so please help me out.

Thank you.

kyle99
January 9th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Sansa Fuze + Rockbox = Sex

Seriously, get the sansa fuze, it's cheap, mine has worked great for over a year, and you can expand it with a micro sd ccard.

Chronon
January 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Make sure you get a v1 Fuze, though. Rockbox doesn't run on the v2 models yet.

Rockbox on any player should work fine with any OS since the player just acts as a UMS device.

gnomeuser
January 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM
The Sansa Fuze is really good and the format support is awesome, however there can be problems with mtp transfer. It's still a fine choice but it is not bug free nor ithe integration offered comparable to Windows 7's Device Stage support (which also includes things such as movie conversion and firmware upgrading.

The best compatible player I have found is my Android phone, it works very smoothly

Redache
January 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I have a Fuze and I like it, it's soon to be replaced by a Hero (hopefully today if it gets delivered :D).

It's a good Media player and the expansion capability is handy.

I'd be considering the new Creative Zii if I was looking for a new Mp3 player as that does look awesome.

luchalibre383
January 12th, 2010, 03:06 AM
so what type of problems are there with mtp transfer

gnomeuser
January 12th, 2010, 05:24 AM
so what type of problems are there with mtp transfer

You can follow the general Sansa Fuze support bug here:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=576709

I haven't extensively tested if this following git commit fixed the mtp problem:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/banshee/commit/?id=fb3ba4a58a214cca09bdcdb99c055860bee9ec82

As for the v1 vs v2 issue, I have the v1 model and I bought my mother a 4GB model which turned out to be a v2. Both can be used with banshee though the v2 has issues with the latest firmware update and regain support being enabled. Sansa has promised a fix for this soon.