PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with booting up in Ubuntu after installing updates

xairoy
January 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I have recenlty installed Ubuntu 9.10 in meinem Laptop.As I installed for the first time (windows installer) I didn't face any problem.
When I started Ubuntu today, I saw an window informing that I needed to install some new Packets from Ubuntu. I installed those packets and I needed to restart the computer. I restarted the Computer. After the screen appears from windows boot manager, I selected, as usual, Ubuntu from the Menu. But this time the login window from Ubuntu didn't come, instead one terminal came up with the following prompt for the first time since I installed Ubuntu.
Sh:grub>

I do not know how to go further from here.
I do not what happens after the packets being installed that i came across this terminal.
Plese help me. I cannot work anymore.
Roy

redrac
January 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Same problem, rebooted after an update. My ubuntu install is on 2nd hard drive under wubi. Select ubuntu under xp bootloader and never gets to the grub loader flashes a bunch of errors then Sh:grub> boots fine into xp

chrisinspace
January 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I have used the steps in the "If you messed up" section of this tutorial to fix GRUB2 before:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing