PDA

View Full Version : Google and other online bussiness to be taxed in France?

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
See here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8448389.stm

I'd hate to be living in France right now. Not much internet freedom.

Grenage
January 8th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's just an idea being thrown around, seemingly idiotic notions are considered every day in every country.* Few things in life are certain, other than death and taxes. Taxes generally don't impede or have anything to do with freedom.

*Probably.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
It's just an idea being thrown around, seemingly idiotic notions are considered every day in every country.* Few things in life are certain, other than death and taxes. Taxes generally don't impede or have anything to do with freedom.

*Probably.

It means you aren't free to do as you want internet wise - you might get taxed.

Grenage
January 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Businesses, yes. That's nothing new, taxes pay for everything from health services and law enforcement, to education and care of the elderly.

Additionally, people aren't 'free to do' what they want on the internet, there are laws.

alphaniner
January 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Taxes generally don't impede or have anything to do with freedom.

Err, no.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Businesses, yes. That's nothing new, taxes pay for everything from health services and law enforcement, to education and care of the elderly.

Additionally, people aren't 'free to do' what they want on the internet, there are laws.

What about companies which aren't in France? For example, I have several websites with Ads on. Under these new laws, I might have to pay tax to France.

alphaniner
January 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
What about companies which aren't in France? For example, I have several websites with Ads on. Under these new laws, I might have to pay tax to France.

I doubt that, but the cost of ads on Google might increase. Or something else. The point being that the cost of taxation is always passed on to the consumer.

Grenage
January 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
That's not true, France doesn't own the Internet!

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
That's not true, France doesn't own the Internet!

Doesn't stop it taxing google. I wonder if the sites must have French domains to be taxed.

madhi19
January 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Doesn't stop it taxing google. I wonder if the sites must have French domains to be taxed.

I can see Google just moving whatever office they got in France somewhere else and tell Sarko where he can shove it! I mean the servers can be anywhere on the planet and probably in orbit too and who really use anything but Google.com anyway!

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I can see Google just moving whatever office they got in France somewhere else and tell Sarko where he can shove it! I mean the servers can be anywhere on the planet and probably in orbit too and who really use anything but Google.com anyway!

But they would still use .fr

Shpongle
January 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM

Yea I hope they dont give it