PDA

View Full Version : I just installed Ubunutu ......now what ?

nekksus
January 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I am a windows Admin and I want to learn linux administration. I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and now what ? Does anyone have any funny projects I can start on or a path I should head down?

howefield
January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and now what ?

Well done, have a cup of tea...

ubername
January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I am a windows Admin and I want to learn linux administration. I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and now what ? Does anyone have any funny projects I can start on or a path I should head down?

You could try getting some samba shares to work (sharing files between windows and *nix computers via network)

llawwehttam
January 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
First install some good apps.

I followed this guy's recommendations.

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/09/top-things-to-do-after-installing.html

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Set up a headless server running CentOS and manage it from your desktop computer using ssh.

Zzl1xndd
January 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
One of my favorite progects when I first started using Linux was authenticating with Active directory.

but welcome to Linux and Ubuntu.

Grenage
January 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I want to learn linux administration

Use it as your primary (if not sole) OS. It's the only way you'll really learn.

Nerd King
January 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest getting virtualbox and running a few boxes together and having them all share files with each other, interact with each other etc. So 1 windows box, 1 bsd, and your host linux. Then you can have a virtual network and see how much they fight :)
Also, go to synaptic, install apache2, mysql-server, php5 and phpmyadmin and congrats you have a webserver. Play with it :)

VastOne
January 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'd suggest getting virtualbox and running a few boxes together and having them all share files with each other, interact with each other etc. So 1 windows box, 1 bsd, and your host linux. Then you can have a virtual network and see how much they fight :)
Also, go to synaptic, install apache2, mysql-server, php5 and phpmyadmin and congrats you have a webserver. Play with it :)

+1

Beat me to the punch Nerd King, well said

Tristam Green
January 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
break junk. you'll either get great satisfaction from fixing the things you broke, or die alone and destitute from the insanity.

fromthehill
January 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
set up your computer so you can completely acces it from another windows or linux box. (ssh, vnc, samba, ftp, apache, etc)

leveled
January 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
http://ubuntuguide.org/

Tibuda
January 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM
use it

forrestcupp
January 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
use it

+1

Now just use it. It's just another OS. Just like with Windows, you can either be a user and everything is easy, or you can be a power user and everything is hard. It's whatever you make of it, just like Windows, MacOS X, or any other OS.

You'll find that there are a lot of differences, but most of the basic concepts are the same as anything else.

jayze
January 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
break junk. you'll either get great satisfaction from fixing the things you broke, or die alone and destitute from the insanity....if we were on fbuk I'd give this the "likes this"....ps when are defectors classed as spies?

Icehuck
January 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Set up a headless server running CentOS and manage it from your desktop computer using ssh.

This!

As a Windows admin this is what taught me the most about Linux. After this I would look into setting up Gentoo or Slackware for desktop use. You have a better chance of running into errors and learning how to fix them from those distros.

When you setup Ubuntu and nothing is broke, how do you learn to fix?

Also if you know absolutely nothing about the command line there is a great web tutorial for beginners. Here is the link for a great basic CLI tutorial. Linux Survial Guide (http://linuxsurvival.com/)

Also for a good reference as a new user, I would get this book. How Linux Works (http://www.amazon.com/How-Linux-Works-Superuser-Should/dp/1593270356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262973191&sr=8-1)