PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam on pidgin

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Ok so I have a Webcam and I dont have it showing up on my messanger....it works on my Cheese program but nothing else....anyone know why?...or what I can do?

metalf8801
January 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
try using it with skype
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/

I could be wrong but I don't think Pidgin works with video chat

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Im only on pidgin because im on msn....I tried using the other messanger thingys but they didnt work either.

Warren Watts
January 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
You might consider trying gyachi. It's a Yahoo Messenger clone for GNU/Linux. The sourceforge page even has a link to a package for karmic. I don't think it's in the official repos.

perlluver
January 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
You can actually use Pidgin for video/audio calls now, but not sure how it works. My webcam also only worked in cheese, not sure what the deal is with that.

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM
yeah I dont even have a video/call thing....idk whats going on

trash
January 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Amsn and Emesene are the only two that have cam that works.. dunno about pidgin but since it's not talked about much i doubt cam is that usable.

EDIT: don't forget to install libmimic-python or something like that to get the cam to work in Emesene.

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I just tried to install it and the page I went to just kept making me do circles and nothing happen.....where do I go?

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
ok so I am now on amsn and I installed(I think) all I need to but it still doesnt seem to work....

trash
January 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
http://www.emesene.org/download.html
at the bottom download the 1.6 source version.. read the read me file in the folder you unzip
get libmimic-python through synaptic

I just tried to install it and the page I went to just kept making me do circles and nothing happen.....where do I go?

trash
January 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
did you configure the cam through amsn file/preferences/other?
if so and it still doesnt work you're going to have to post info about your cam for extra help

ok so I am now on amsn and I installed(I think) all I need to but it still doesnt seem to work....

baha'a
January 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hi

I once wanted to use cam on pidgin too.

but I searched a little and found something like

voice/video calls doesn't work on pidgin on msn but they work for gmail and don't know about the rest

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Ok yes I did go to preference and other but the cam is showing up white on the other side....I dont have a plug in cam mine is built in to my laptop, I have a Toshiba.

Iwent to system>administration>synaptic package manager

and got the python-dev, python limic, and so on what else do I need?

trash
January 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I am having the same problem on my toshiba and i think it has to do with the windows live server and not amsn.. this issue is all over the amsn forum and there is no fix until windows live fixes the issue:(.

just run double click the emesene file and configure the cam... again if it doesn't work, like me you are out of luck:(

Ok yes I did go to preference and other but the cam is showing up white on the other side....I dont have a plug in cam mine is built in to my laptop, I have a Toshiba.

Iwent to system>administration>synaptic package manager

and got the python-dev, python limic, and so on what else do I need?

princessalisi
January 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oh...wow....Thank you so much for atleast trying to help me :)

trash
January 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM
anytime! if you happen to find a solution do let us know!:)

Oh...wow....Thank you so much for atleast trying to help me :)