PDA

View Full Version : Screwed my ipod sorting.

equal
January 8th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Before everyone starts jumping on me, I'm not saying linux sucks because of this, I'm just REALLY upset right now and needed to vent.

I don't know if it was rhythmbox or amarok that did it... but I plugged my (almost full) 120GB iPod into my computer figuring "Hey, everything else works great in Linux, let's get my iPod working HERE so I don't have to keep using my roommate's computer to sync my iPod.

I plugged it in, it opened in Rhythmbox. I dropped a couple of albums onto it, everything worked. HAPPY!

Then I unplugged it, and realised something was wrong... all my albums were out of order. I always set the "sort album" field to the year the album was released so they appear in chronological order.

I connected my iPod to my roomie's computer, figuring it was just a syncing issue... but no. Either Rhythmbox or amarok cleared the "sort album" field on EVERY TRACK on my player. 13,207 songs. So much work.... gone.

:(

speedwell68
January 9th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Before everyone starts jumping on me, I'm not saying linux sucks because of this, I'm just REALLY upset right now and needed to vent.

I don't know if it was rhythmbox or amarok that did it... but I plugged my (almost full) 120GB iPod into my computer figuring "Hey, everything else works great in Linux, let's get my iPod working HERE so I don't have to keep using my roommate's computer to sync my iPod.

I plugged it in, it opened in Rhythmbox. I dropped a couple of albums onto it, everything worked. HAPPY!

Then I unplugged it, and realised something was wrong... all my albums were out of order. I always set the "sort album" field to the year the album was released so they appear in chronological order.

I connected my iPod to my roomie's computer, figuring it was just a syncing issue... but no. Either Rhythmbox or amarok cleared the "sort album" field on EVERY TRACK on my player. 13,207 songs. So much work.... gone.

:(

Did you unmount the iPod properly?

steveneddy
January 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Did you unmount the iPod properly?

That was my question.

Simon17
January 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
It's obviously your fault.

Redache
January 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I don't think anybody's saying that. Incorrectly removing a device can cause problems like this though.

iponeverything
January 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It could cause a problem like this.. if all of the sorting information was kept in one file and it was one that had not been properly flushed before the device was removed..

speedwell68
January 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think anybody's saying that. Incorrectly removing a device can cause problems like this though.

I certainly aren't saying that. I had a similar problem when I pulled my iPod Shuffle by mistake.