PDA

View Full Version : anyone else looking forward to Lubuntu 10.04 and beyond?

pythonscript
January 8th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I've been reading more about Lubuntu, and after running for alpha for a few days in virtualbox, I dare say I'm impressed. Any other thoughts on the subject? It probably won't be production-level at the first release, but maybe after a few releases it will get right up there with xubuntu and the other distros for lower-end systems.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I've been reading more about Lubuntu, and after running for alpha for a few days in virtualbox, I dare say I'm impressed. Any other thoughts on the subject? It probably won't be production-level at the first release, but maybe after a few releases it will get right up there with xubuntu and the other distros for lower-end systems.

I hope it will replace Xubuntu as the low-end Ubuntu remix. Of course, the best way is to use the minimal CD, but that doesn't matter.

Simian Man
January 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM
It probably won't be production-level at the first release

If you want a released LXDE based distro, you can try the Fedora spin (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/). In my opinion though, LXDE in general isn't what I'd call "production level" yet - regardless of the underlying system.

drawkcab
January 8th, 2010, 04:39 AM
You can always just install the lxde desktop and customize it to your liking. I don't think that lubuntu will displace xubuntu, but it will be a nice option for those of us running older hardware or netbooks.