PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mysterious alt key

jlperry
January 8th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm hesitant to even ask but I'm getting frustrated and just hoping someone has any kind of suggestion.

I have an alt key which seems to mysteriously activate every few seconds. It is extremely annoying cause when you try to open a menu it will automatically close on you. Also I have a Windows guest in Virtual Box and that is even more annoying because every few seconds the menu bar will activate. This detours you from typing, selecting any kind of drop-down menu etc. I have checked the keyboard (should note that it is a laptop) and don't see any obvious possible malfunction. It's clean, nothing stuck, key presses smoothly.

It seems far fetched that this could be from an software issue. The logical explanation, to me, seems hardware but I keep my laptop very clean and always handle with care, and the button shows no sign of sticking. Plus only activating in constant 15 sec (approx) intervals. Just maybe there is some strange software explanation.

I have tried to reconfigure the keyboard settings and layout in Preferences but to no luck.

Has anyone come across anything remotely similar or have any ideas it would be much appreciated??

I know it sounds strange. I have never heard of or seen anything like it before.

w.kazimierczak
January 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Perhaps this is your problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+bug/505789

jlperry
January 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
That's it!!

Sure enough it was BlueProximity which was causing the problem. Can't tell you how annoying that was.

THNX!! kazimierczak, your my hero. :)