View Full Version : [kubuntu] Recommended wifi card?

SpongeBob SquarePants
January 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Evening all,

I'm currently in the market for a new PCI wireless card. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, wifi card with 100 percent Kubuntu (9.10) compatibility. In other words, I don't want to be arsing around with ndiswrapper, nor do I want a card that has kernel issues (like my old rt73 ralink card). I just want to plug it in and it connect.

Thanks chaps.

Crafty Kisses
January 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
You might want to check this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported) out. That list is a bit outdated, but it will give you a general idea what you might be looking for.

January 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I bought an Intel 4965AGN off of Ebay. It was $11.99 with free shipping, and it has wireless N dual band support. Fully functional right out of the box with Karmic. only concern is some issues with accessing N via secure connection, but haven't really taken time to explore further, as non-secure is non-issue. Card is mini-pci though. Have to crack case to install, but awesome b/c you don't have cumbersome card hanging out of computer. Also, direct replacement for earlier intel cards. (I was replacing a 3965)

There are some newer intel cards out there, but I can't personally speak to them.