PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install a tar.gz file from command line

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I did a command-line installation.

I dont have an ethernet connection, only wireless.
For some reason the alternate installer doesnt install "wireless-tools"

How do install it?
At this point I am thinking of botting off a live USB, downloading the wireless-tolls package from here (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html)
Save it to a folder in the command line installation (where?)
then boot back into command line and install from there

But I am not that savvy with command lines, and dont know where to install to...

thoughts?

Revolutionary101
January 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM
A tar.gz file is not an installation file, it is just a compressed file (just like .zip). To install it just extract the files to a folder and run the program. In most cases installation is not required.

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
sorry, i know a tar.gz file is a compressed file.
but your point about likeliness that no installation required is taken...

let me try...

thanks!

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM
ok, i got the file download. untar'ed it.

I do a "sudo make install"
but it tells me:
make: gcc: command not found

Will try to download gcc the same way now

warfacegod
January 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Tell the terminal to navigate to the folder you extracted:

cd /someplace/another/etractedfloder

Next, I believe this is right:

sudo apt-get install completefilename

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hmmm...doing that just tells me package not found. even though I am in containing directory

warfacegod
January 8th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I think the name needs to be exact. Then back up one folder.

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
yes im sure the name would need to be exact :)
it still didnt work
not even in my working installation on another laptop

AlexandreP
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Tell the terminal to navigate to the folder you extracted:

cd /someplace/another/etractedfloder

Next, I believe this is right:

sudo apt-get install completefilename

apt-get works with packages from a packages repository. It does not work with local/manually downloaded .deb files (use Gdebi or dpkg to install them) nor with .tar.gz/.zip/.tar.bz2/etc compressed files (which usually contain source code that has to be compiled).

I do a "sudo make install"
but it tells me:
make: gcc: command not found

Will try to download gcc the same way now
You have to install some additionnal software if you want to compile programs. The package build-essential (apt://build-essential) (from your packages manager) should install the basic stuf needed. (I don't know if it is present in Ubuntu CD-ROM, though. You may need the get an Internet connection in order to install it.)

But don't forget to take a look at a README or INSTALL file that is included in the .tar.gz archive. It may well contain some interesting information about how to install this software (need anything special? how to compile? does it need to be compiled? etc.).

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 04:34 AM
apt-get works with packages from a packages repository. It does not work with local/manually downloaded .deb files (use Gdebi or dpkg to install them) nor with .tar.gz/.zip/.tar.bz2/etc compressed files (which usually contain source code that has to be compiled).

Yeah, this is what I have gotten to...looked up .deb files for wireless-tools and gcc online through a liveUSB. downloaded them to hardrive. rebboted and tried dpkg.

But it still gives errors, i think maybe for dependencies...will check it again in a bit...

You have to install some additionnal software if you want to compile programs. The package build-essential (apt://build-essential) (from your packages manager) should install the basic stuf needed. (I don't know if it is present in Ubuntu CD-ROM, though. You may need the get an Internet connection in order to install it.)

I am getting online through a liveUSB. downloading that way. but so far have to do the files one by one, and when i go back to command line i learn i need another dependency

But don't forget to take a look at a README or INSTALL file that is included in the .tar.gz archive. It may well contain some interesting information about how to install this software (need anything special? how to compile? does it need to be compiled? etc.).

dependencies issues would be the same whether i install off of .deb or compile from source, ya?

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Is there a way for me to maybe download the DVD onto a usbdrive and then access all the packages from there?

AlexandreP
January 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
dependencies issues would be the same whether i install off of .deb or compile from source, ya?
Yes. Even if you are compiling the program, you may need some other things from the repos.

dpkg does not download dependencies (it assumes you already have downloaded and installed them).

AlexandreP
January 8th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Is there a way for me to maybe download the DVD onto a usbdrive and then access all the packages from there?
Well, yes, you can download Ubuntu's DVD ISO image into your USB drive, then mount it using mount and add it in Synaptic (in Synaptic, go to Settings -> Repositories -> Other software -> Add CR-ROM).

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Well, yes, you can download Ubuntu's DVD ISO image into your USB drive, then mount it using mount and add it in Synaptic (in Synaptic, go to Settings -> Repositories -> Other software -> Add CR-ROM).

Can I do this through a command line installation?
And would I just copy the .iso to the USB or make a bootable USB of the DVD?

malangbaba
January 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM
SOLVED!

Went and got the wireless-tools, libc6 (udev), libiw29 packages from packages.ubuntu.com

installed them on CL through dpkg

got wireless-tools on

now wireless works!