PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4 vs Chrome - will this be the real browser war?

user1397
January 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Seems like mozilla has definitely noticed its got quite a bit of competition, and not just from MS. Yes it's not final, but they're definitely trying it out.

Screenshots to compare:

Firefox 4: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups

Chrome (for comparison): http://lifehacker.com/5044484/google-chrome-first-look

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Looks a lot, lot more like Opera 10. I've said this since the first time I'd seen FF3.7 screenshots.

Jesus_Valdez
January 8th, 2010, 02:17 AM
These are NOT FINAL! THEY ARE ONLY FOR BRAINSTORMING/EXPLORATION!

Chrome is not yet on the same league that Firefox.

Chrome is more in the league of Opera, Safari, etc.

Xbehave
January 8th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Not, yet FF is still poorly threaded & single process, Chrome still lacks the customization of firefox (even if it does have extensions)

Maybe firefox5 vs chrome5 will mean war, but as both are pretty good with standards it's not really going to be like the original wars.

pwnst*r
January 8th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Bring on the browser wars, it benefits everybody.

user1397
January 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
These are NOT FINAL! THEY ARE ONLY FOR BRAINSTORMING/EXPLORATION!yup, that's what I said in the original post. ;)

Pogeymanz
January 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I wonder what they think FF4 will look like under Linux without the glass Aero stuff.

Chrome will be a large contender, but as it stands it is not as extensible as FF and it may never be (Google loves ads and google-analytics).

Opera is the only browser truly on par with FF right now, but the next few years will be interesting.

samh785
January 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Some good competition is most definitely beneficial for the end products. Hopefully google won't just use its virtually unlimited financial resources too much though... I like FF. :)

RabbitWho
January 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Weyhey! Tabs on top! the only reason I went over to chrome in the first place! (and then I stayed for a little while because of the speed.. but came back to FF because I depend on so many functions chrome just hasn't got)

I hope that doesn't mean they oversimplify in the same way chrome does.. i use almost everything up there... can you even work off-line with chrome?

The combination stop refresh go button is very clever... kudos whoever thought of that!

Kdar
January 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I kind of like the look of the current stable Firefox, I am not sure what so great about Google inspired design...
I hope I would able to switch back to 3.5 look in FF4

purgatori
January 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Firefox definitely has the lead on Chrome at the moment, especially in terms of stability, but Chrome is not only a browser, but also an OS (basically), so Google will continue to pump a lot of resources into the project.

aaaantoine
January 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I like the combo Stop / Go / Refresh button. That is a useful thing.

I'm not so warm on the tabs-on-top design, though. For one thing it won't be compatible with our window managers.

humphreybc
January 12th, 2010, 09:49 PM
You forgot to mention Opera 10.5. :)

IE is well out of the browser race now - go open source!

AllRadioisDead
January 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I wonder what they think FF4 will look like under Linux without the glass Aero stuff.

Chrome will be a large contender, but as it stands it is not as extensible as FF and it may never be (Google loves ads and google-analytics).

Opera is the only browser truly on par with FF right now, but the next few years will be interesting.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Linux_Theme_Mockups
Here's what you can expect for 3.7, A huge improvement:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/3.7_Linux_Theme_Mockups

NoaHall
January 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
You forgot to mention Opera 10.5. :)

IE is well out of the browser race now - go open source!

Opera isn't open source.

sxmaxchine
January 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
opera is the best web browser ever and it works on almost everything that gets on the internet also ff4 does look a lot like opera

chucky chuckaluck
January 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
no love for elinks, huh?

Impulser
January 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Chrome and Firefox are on the same league. Firefox has been around longer so of course it more popular and Chrome is being updated everyday by developers. Chrome is very secure and same with Firefox but with the help of all the information Google knows Chrome is probably better at keeping you safe when browsering the web. Chrome is faster then Firefox at loading javascript and so on if you look at the benchmarks.

My opinion is Chrome is better because the overall look of it is better and you don't have stupid toolbars in the way. I also love the speed, secure, and interface of Chrome making it my favorite.

This will always be a war and in the upcoming year I think Google will past up Firefox.

Internet Explore is just a joke. Microsoft is anti open source so there is no way of them getting back in the race.

lykwydchykyn
January 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
The only browser war worth worrying about is the war between open standards and lock-in technology. The day when I no longer have to use $BROWSER on $OS to use a site is the day the war is won.

At that point, it's just good old free-market competition.

samjh
January 13th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Chrome is not yet on the same league that Firefox.

Chrome is more in the league of Opera, Safari, etc.

No it isn't.

Browser statistics as of December 2009:
Firefox = 46.6%
Internet Explorer (6, 7, 8) = 37.2%
Chrome = 9.8%
Safari = 3.6%
Opera = 2.3%

pissedoffdude
January 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Wow, that's a pretty amazing firefox mock-up. It's as if chrome, firefox, and safari had a perfect baby.

johnboy1313
January 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
meh, i like the look of firefox over chrome right now, to be honest i can't really see a browser war being the most productive thing in the world, most online apps that people like run better in ff than chrome and since microsoft packages with ff installed now people are going to lean towards that. Now when chrome os launches, if that surprises me and takes off, maybe then i can see more day to day people trying the chrome browser but from my experience most people dont care enough to see a need for a browser change, their like garth in waynes world "change... we fear change"

AllRadioisDead
January 13th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Chrome and Firefox are on the same league. Firefox has been around longer so of course it more popular and Chrome is being updated everyday by developers. Chrome is very secure and same with Firefox but with the help of all the information Google knows Chrome is probably better at keeping you safe when browsering the web. Chrome is faster then Firefox at loading javascript and so on if you look at the benchmarks.

My opinion is Chrome is better because the overall look of it is better and you don't have stupid toolbars in the way. I also love the speed, secure, and interface of Chrome making it my favorite.

This will always be a war and in the upcoming year I think Google will past up Firefox.

Internet Explore is just a joke. Microsoft is anti open source so there is no way of them getting back in the race.
Apart from the javascript benchmarking your entire response is completely biased.
Also, Microsoft being anti open-source has nothing to do with their browser being a joke.

TironN
January 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM

+1.

Competition is good for us all! As long as there is more than one party in a market they will compete for our benefit!

houseworkshy
January 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM
A search for +google +mozilla is interesting. I remember, a few years ago, many web pages were only compatable with explorer. Now the biggest search engine has it's own browser. Unfair play could happen. It's a bit of a wait and see what business/development strategies get used.

spupy
January 13th, 2010, 02:36 AM
The browser that reigns on my computer is the Imperator - the VIMPERATOR! That is the only browser for me. (It's only the best firefox plugin, for uninitiated.) Maybe if they make a vimperator plugin for Chrome(ium). That will be a nerdgasm.

Also, I don't like counting milliseconds. So all those benchmark charts don't really appeal to me in any way. Do you imagine yourself with two browser windows opened, smashing F5 and throwing fast glimpses at each of the windows, trying to catch those illusive milliseconds? I certainly don't.

xzero1
January 13th, 2010, 03:04 AM
IMHO, google is making a brilliant move with Chrome. As was mentioned, Chrome will be google's operating system. By releasing the browser now, people will get used to using the Chrome browser and thus the Chrome OS. The cool thing is the chrome OS already has flash, codecs, etc built in. Chrome OS apps are internet apps with data that lives in the cloud.

R.I.P microsoft.:)

AllRadioisDead
January 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM
IMHO, google is making a brilliant move with Chrome. As was mentioned, Chrome will be google's operating system. By releasing the browser now, people will get used to using the Chrome browser and thus the Chrome OS. The cool thing is the chrome OS already has flash, codecs, etc built in. Chrome OS apps are internet apps with data that lives in the cloud.

R.I.P microsoft.:)
Chrome OS and Microsoft Windows are designed for two entirely different uses. ChromeOS is designed for netbooks, Windows is designed for just about everything that can run it. As cool as flash/codec thing sounds, it doesn't really matter because the average user can easily install it in Windows with a few clicks. I also don't think storing data on the cloud is that big of a deal, the only people that will really appreciate it are 3G users, everyone else will be without their documents when they're not near a hotspot.

koleoptero
January 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
OMG the previous browser wars were not real?

*runs aimlessly around screaming*

No it isn't.

Firefox = 46.6%
Chrome = 9.8%
Safari = 3.6%
Opera = 2.3%

I believe you've just proven you're wrong. 9.8 is far closer to 3.6 than to 46.6 :P

xzero1
January 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Chrome OS and Microsoft Windows are designed for two entirely different uses. ChromeOS is designed for netbooks, Windows is designed for just about everything that can run it. As cool as flash/codec thing sounds, it doesn't really matter because the average user can easily install it in Windows with a few clicks. I also don't think storing data on the cloud is that big of a deal, the only people that will really appreciate it are 3G users, everyone else will be without their documents when they're not near a hotspot.

All true, but the market for portable devices is growing and I believe desktop computers will eventually all but become obsolete. After all wouldn't you rather have a portable device that does what your desktop and in the long run will probably be cheaper to produce? As far as being without documents, "there's an app for that":).

infestor
January 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war”.
Mitch Browserus

AllRadioisDead
January 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
All true, but the market for portable devices is growing and I believe desktop computers will eventually all but become obsolete. After all wouldn't you rather have a portable device that does what your desktop and in the long run will probably be cheaper to produce? As far as being without documents, "there's an app for that":).
Some people use the desktop for more than just web browsing.
Digital Media, gaming, Office suites, among other things are all things that can't be done on portable devices or the cloud.

Shpongle
January 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM

++

xzero1
January 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Digital Media, gaming, Office suites, among other things are all things that can't be done on portable devices or the cloud.

That remains to be seen. All of the things you mention, given adequate bandwidth, could be done via the web.

Frak
January 13th, 2010, 11:01 PM
**** it. Firefox replaced my entire message with an empty POST to the server. This comment had gobbledy gook written in it. THANKS FIREFOX! I hope Mozilla does have their funding cut in 2011.

EDIT
Here it is rewritten.

Here's how it will play out:

Mozilla: Here's our latest browser! It is better than everything out there.

Google: We don't know, our browser has so far bypassed the technical abilities of your browser.

Mozilla: We are innovating new ways of interacting with the user.

Google: No, you are redesigning the interface, there's a difference.

Mozilla: So?

Google: We do not believe you stand as an important candidate for Google Corporation.

*Cuts Mozilla funding

Mozilla: Goodbye cruel world!

Realistically, Google may cut Firefox funding in 2011 if they do not see them as an important figure. If that happens, Mozilla is up a creek.

Microsoft is anti open source so there is no way of them getting back in the race.

_Microsoft_is_not_anti_open_source_

No it isn't.

Firefox = 46.6%
Chrome = 9.8%
Safari = 3.6%
Opera = 2.3%

Mine are way different:

1 Internet Explorer 8.0 22.43%
2 Firefox 3.5 22.18%
3 Internet Explorer 7.0 16.43%
4 Internet Explorer 6.0 11.44%
5 Firefox 3.0 8.58%
6 Safari 4.0 4.62%
7 Chrome 3.0 4.62%
8 Opera 10.0 1.30%
9 Firefox 2.0 1.24%
10 Chrome 4.0 0.78%

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 01:16 AM
It's nice to see Firefox pick up it's game, but do you have to use such old Chrome shots? Why not compare the latest versions of both on the same OS?

NoaHall
January 14th, 2010, 01:20 AM
It's nice to see Firefox pick up it's game, but do you have to use such old Chrome shots? Why not compare the latest versions of both on the same OS?

I did - (On Windows 7 64 bit) using http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

Opera 10.10 - 2661
{
Rendering - 3099
Social networking - 3198
Complex graphics - 3886
Data - 1202
DOM operations - 4476
Text parsing - 2504
}

Opera 10.50 - 5128
{
Rendering
Social networking
Complex graphics
Data
DOM operations
Text parsing
}
Chrome 3.0.195.38 - 4828

Chrome 4.0.249.64 - 5680
{
Rendering - 5858
Social networking - 4929
Complex graphics - 9960
Data - 4109
DOM operations - 7314
Text parsing - 6816
}

IE 8 64 bit - 1235

IE 8 32 bit(running on 64 bit) - 1230
{
Rendering - 1601
Social networking - 1399
Complex graphics - 0
Data - 1053
DOM operations - 818
Text parsing - 1464

Firefox 3.5.7 - 3068

Firefox 3.6 - 4009

Minefield 3.7a1pre (otherwise known as Firefox) - 3884
{
Rendering - 2520
Social networking - 3158
Complex graphics - 7565
Data - 8427
DOM operations - 3787
Text parsing - 3484
}

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 01:30 AM
The war will be between Chrome and IE, ChromiumOS, and whatever Microsoft tried to do with netbooks and cloud devices. Firefox was an intermediary software, an expansion from the dying of netscape, that is no longer needed. I doubt it will be around a year from now.

AllRadioisDead
January 14th, 2010, 02:22 AM
That remains to be seen. All of the things you mention, given adequate bandwidth, could be done via the web.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said it hasn't been done.

BuffaloX
January 14th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Firefox is cool, and is my preferred browser, but I wonder why Opera is better at rendering some things.
Just the other day I tested animated SVGs, and only Opera would show it properly. Chrome had some nasty flickering, Firefox only shows a still Image. IE doesnt render SVG at all.

Seems like browser quality of rendering is the exact reverse of popularity. :confused:

Pogeymanz
January 14th, 2010, 02:33 AM
The war will be between Chrome and IE, ChromiumOS, and whatever Microsoft tried to do with netbooks and cloud devices. Firefox was an intermediary software, an expansion from the dying of netscape, that is no longer needed. I doubt it will be around a year from now.

I hope not. I like Firefox better than Chrome. If Firefox really does die, I'd move to Opera before Chrome.

Frak
January 14th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I hope not. I like Firefox better than Chrome. If Firefox really does die, I'd move to Opera before Chrome.
Why? Chrome follows W3C standards to the period. I don't see why you wouldn't want that.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 03:04 AM

Yeah I hope not as well. I do mostly prefer Chrome to FF, but I'd never want to see Firefox disappear, I appreciate what Mozilla have done with it and even the direction they have taken it sometimes as it's very robust and powerful/flexible.

I hope that they all stick around ^_^

hanzomon4
January 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I kind of like the look of the current stable Firefox, I am not sure what so great about Google inspired design...
I hope I would able to switch back to 3.5 look in FF4

I don't know what it is about google's aesthetics but they grow on you. Personally Chromium has won me over. The extensions are great, it's fast, and looks "out of the way". I now see why they decided to make it an OS. I can do just about everything in the browser except watch my locally stored media. Sure I could do the same in any browser but chromium's design makes it preferable

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Firefox is useful software. That said, its bad software, based on bad software. Chrome is a much better technology. Its an evolution. Soon Chrome will have every feature firefox has, and then...what point will there be to firefox?

Frak
January 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Firefox is useful software. That said, its bad software, based on bad software. Chrome is a much better technology. Its an evolution. Soon Chrome will have every feature firefox has, and then...what point will there be to firefox?
Like I said before, I don't see Firefox surviving The Google Decision of 2011. If Google Chrome moves mountains this year, Firefox could be deemed redundant.

vishzilla
January 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
@frak firefox has a very large community.. i doubt you will see the sun setting on firefox. wait and watch, i believe its a battle between firefox vs chrome

Khakilang
January 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Competition is healthy. At least the one I am using is the best.

houseworkshy
January 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Is chrome likely to support add ons such as Ghostery which block google anaylitics. If they are smart, brave and quick enough off the mark the winner here may actually be Yahoo.

AllRadioisDead
January 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Like I said before, I don't see Firefox surviving The Google Decision of 2011. If Google Chrome moves mountains this year, Firefox could be deemed redundant.
I doubt it.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
@frak firefox has a very large community.. i doubt you will see the sun setting on firefox. wait and watch, i believe its a battle between firefox vs chrome

thing is you can't base this on community size or even market share. What really matters here is quality. I mean let's face it both these browsers have an advantage in the public's eye - both "Google" and "Firefox" are now well-known names.

It's all about what they both churn out in the next year or so :)

vishzilla
January 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
agree. mozilla does have the resources to step up the plate. they wont die that easily

Frak
January 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
thing is you can't base this on community size or even market share. What really matters here is quality. I mean let's face it both these browsers have an advantage in the public's eye - both "Google" and "Firefox" are now well-known names.

It's all about what they both churn out in the next year or so :)

This.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM
This.

wow we agreed on something! hehe :D

bash
January 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Screenshots to compare:

Firefox 4: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups

Quick question: Why are we comparing screenshots of possibly UI designs for a different OS. It's still an Ubuntu forum here at the end of the day. And these mock-ups are only for Windows. So far nothing has been announced concerning a new/updated Firefox interface for Mac and Linux.

So even while these screenshots promise a nicer experience on my 7 box, they sadly add nothing for my main Ubuntu install. And so far it doesn't seem that it will change.

Might not have to much to do with Chrome vs Firefox but just to state it, in case people thought those screens actually showed what Firefox on Linux might look like.

Pogeymanz
January 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM

I don't think that Chrome will have every feature that Firefox has. Google lives off of ads, therefore Chrome will probably never have a proper AdBlock or NoScript. Those are functions I can only get from Firefox and Opera so far. And Opera also prides itself on standards compliance as well. In fact, it used to be the case that several websites didn't work in Opera only because Opera was more standards compliant than the website, FF, or IE.

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 12:29 AM
wow we agreed on something! hehe :D

The other important part is that Google funds most of Firefox's development. So... if Google sees Mozilla as a threat, all they have to do is pull the plug.

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think that Chrome will have every feature that Firefox has. Google lives off of ads, therefore Chrome will probably never have a proper AdBlock or NoScript. Those are functions I can only get from Firefox and Opera so far. And Opera also prides itself on standards compliance as well. In fact, it used to be the case that several websites didn't work in Opera only because Opera was more standards compliant than the website, FF, or IE.
That's the thing about Opera. They adhere to standards, which is great and all, but they don't provide any extra extensions upon that. In the grand scheme of things Internet Explorer - Fails Acid 3, no extensions -> Opera - Passes Acid 3, no extensions -> Firefox - Fails Acid 3, browser extensions -> Webkit - Passes Acid 3, browser extensions.

In essence, I like browser extensions.

NoaHall
January 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM
That's the thing about Opera. They adhere to standards, which is great and all, but they don't provide any extra extensions upon that. In the grand scheme of things Internet Explorer - Fails Acid 3, no extensions -> Opera - Passes Acid 3, no extensions -> Firefox - Fails Acid 3, browser extensions -> Webkit - Passes Acid 3, browser extensions.

In essence, I like browser extensions.

Meh, you can add .js files to do things that adblock/noscript/flashblock do, it comes with a built in dev tool(which is really good), and comes with a lot of FireFox's features built in.

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Meh, you can add .js files to do things that adblock/noscript/flashblock do, it comes with a built in dev tool(which is really good), and comes with a lot of FireFox's features built in.
I'm talking about options like -moz-border-radius. To a web developer, those are useful.

NoaHall
January 15th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm talking about options like -moz-border-radius. To a web developer, those are useful.

There are ways of doing that too - although a bit harder to do.

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM
There are ways of doing that too - although a bit harder to do.
I know there are ways around it, but there's a lot of benefits in using browser-side extensions. All webkit browsers have them, which is nice. I've done it through Javascript (and I've been using Rafael.js for Opera and IE), but these can be rendered without images or javascript.

hoppipolla
January 15th, 2010, 02:00 AM
The other important part is that Google funds most of Firefox's development. So... if Google sees Mozilla as a threat, all they have to do is pull the plug.

wow that's a scary one O.O

Is it really that way round then? I knew there was a connection between the two but I didn't know it was like that...

Man I hope we don't see the death of FF, I mean I prefer Chrome but I would miss ol' Mozilla, they did such an awesome job at least relative to the pre-Chrome (and reasonable quality Opera) browser scene!

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 02:11 AM
chrome takes the **** badly. It cant connect half the time. Firefox no complaints works like a charm.

conorsulli
January 15th, 2010, 02:51 AM

Yes then can and will for definite unless the world decides to backtrack... I'm sure when the ARPANET was developed people never imagined computers to do what they do now... All these things are extremely possible on the cloud... a company like google aren't developing chrome os for fun....

(Sorry if I came out as blunt.. what I want to put across is that natural progression of the internet is bound to happen... I didn't imagine myself watching hd video on the internet 10 years ago and I barely knew what it was... yet here we are...)

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM
wow that's a scary one O.O

Is it really that way round then? I knew there was a connection between the two but I didn't know it was like that...

http://gigaom.com/2009/12/10/why-mozillas-deal-with-google-gets-ever-shakier/

Good article on it.

FootySr
January 15th, 2010, 03:58 AM

As far as gaming goes... check out Tiger Woods Online. It's played in a web browser and it's extremely well done and plays just as well as it's fully installed on you HD Tiger Woods did. Granted it can't be played on Linux yet but it's still impressive.

michaelpagz
January 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Yes then can and will for definite unless the world decides to backtrack... I'm sure when the ARPANET was developed people never imagined computers to do what they do now... All these things are extremely possible on the cloud... a company like google aren't developing chrome os for fun....

(Sorry if I came out as blunt.. what I want to put across is that natural progression of the internet is bound to happen... I didn't imagine myself watching hd video on the internet 10 years ago and I barely knew what it was... yet here we are...)

I think its sorta kinda ironic that people see cloud computing as the wave of the future, and it may well be, but its funny because super computers were the beginning; giant beasts that were used by many different people and companies. Then the PC was the revolution: "hold all your data in the privacy of your own home!" Now, we're back to giant public supercomputers again. Just a thought. I know its not 100% accurate.
As far as this thread, my hope is that Firefox sees this as an opportunity to progress in many directions. I would love to see Mozilla innovate again. I do not want to see them just play catch up forever.

hoppipolla
January 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
chrome takes the **** badly. It cant connect half the time. Firefox no complaints works like a charm.

I've never had that issue. To be honest most Chrome issues I have I have at least an equal problem of some kind with Firefox, and I do overall get better performance and a preferable UI from Chrome, that's why I use it. I don't hate Firefox though, and sometimes I still find it to be essential :)

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I've never had that issue. To be honest most Chrome issues I have I have at least an equal problem of some kind with Firefox, and I do overall get better performance and a preferable UI from Chrome, that's why I use it. I don't hate Firefox though, and sometimes I still find it to be essential :)
I mean its not bad. But my firefox is 10x faster then chrome on my pc. Chrome has a nice interface tho.

hoppipolla
January 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I mean its not bad. But my firefox is 10x faster then chrome on my pc. Chrome has a nice interface tho.

that is a little strange, but yeah use what works for you man :)

NoaHall
January 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I know there are ways around it, but there's a lot of benefits in using browser-side extensions. All webkit browsers have them, which is nice. I've done it through Javascript (and I've been using Rafael.js for Opera and IE), but these can be rendered without images or javascript.

Oh, and Opera 10.50(pre-alpha) supports it :)

border-radius: 1em;
that is.

scOotZ™
January 15th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I gave Chrome a shot after using Fox for years. It doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me, and still seemed rather buggy. I also didn't like the numerous processes it took up. Though, I didn't like the more full-screen display it had.

I'm still standing by FireFox.

arnab_das
January 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
i had been a loyal firefox user for around 3 yrs. never ever thought i'd change browsers. but the fact is google chromejust feels a lot faster than firefox. firefox just takes years (compared to chrome i mean) to start. and tab management in chrome is awesome. firefox just doesnt get the 'nifty' thing. i know firefox is a hotbed for developers testing addons etc. but from a user's perspective chrome is better. live google search results are also an added advantage.

i have to say rather painfully, chrome wins the battle, as of now.

Frak
January 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Oh, and Opera 10.50(pre-alpha) supports it :)

border-radius: 1em;
that is.
Thanks. Future-proofing FTW!