PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is wrong with the updates breaking my install?

ninja togo
January 8th, 2010, 01:40 AM
This has to be the sixth time I am going to have to reinstall Ubuntu (Can't get enough of that Linux greatness;)) in the past 6 months.

I just don't understand what exactly is wrong, I don't install anything extra(but the ubuntu restricted extras) yet updates that ask me to reboot will take me to a GRUB command line screen and trying to boot through the command line interface gives me an, "Invalid Magic Number", error.

There should be an official tool for when problems like this come up, so that users like me can easily move their files off their HDD before reinstalling.

I didn't come here to rant but, does anyone know what may be causing this everytime, how it can be avoided maybe even how to deal with the Magic Number error and boot in(I wouldn't mind typing in the commands every time BTW) ?

My system
Hp Compaq 6730s
2.0Ghz 575 Celeron
4GB RAM
Intel X4500MHD
Broadcom 802.11b/g

Please and thank you. :)

ninja togo
January 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I should also say that my install is a Wubi install if that matters.

If it's too much trouble to repair my install I can just reinstall and start again.(:( Sigh) But does anyone know if it would be worth it to reinstall before 10.04 comes; I right now, can put up with Windows so I can wait, if the answer is yes.

presence1960
January 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/03/12/interview-with-agostino-russo-wubi-ubuntu/

read the answer to the second question asked of someone who created wubi.

Wubi is not meant to be a permanent installation. It is meant to be used as a means for those who are unsure if they like Ubuntu to give it a test drive without having to partition their hard disk.

It is also harder to get help with wubi as most do not use wubi. Most use a full installation to a partition on their hard disk.

Now you have had wubi for 6 months- do you like Ubuntu? If so uninstall wubi from windows and do a proper ubuntu installation to your hard disk by booting the Live CD.

If you need help with partitioning post back.