PDA

View Full Version : Does functionality or unfamiliarity that puts people off of open source software?

Macfunky
January 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I have spent the last few years studying various forms of media. I have been using Linux for the past year and a bit and i love it. I have found an alternative for everything i have used. My question is, is it more the unfamiliarity rather than the perceived lack of functionality that puts people off? I have studied photography, radio, sound and print. For these i have found gimp, audacity, ardour/hydrogen (with good samples) and open office/scribus plenty sufficient for these. It was a bit of a learning curve, but not as much as i have heard people make it out to be. Do people brush these things off easily moreso cause they are unfamiliar with them i.e. when they open up audacity and hear its an alternative to Adobe Audition and assume it will work just like Adobe Audition? I have found that after a short time with any of these programs that i have been able to do the EXACT same things with them as with proprietary software. They may use different menus (cause they're different software) but is it that they're incapable or is it that people just don't have the patience? These programs are expandable with plugins and if you want to change the shortcuts you can lessen the confusion between using a proprietary piece of software and an open source piece of software. So what does everyone else think? I would like to heard from both sides as passionately as the other but i would like to hear strongly from either side. In my experience getting past the fact that a certain function doesn't exist doesn't mean you still can't get the desired result easily

EDIT: My post was meant to say "Does functionality or unfamiliarity put people off of open source software?" I had to edit it to make it fit in and i messed up. Can't edit it now. Oops :P

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:18 AM
No...

fatcrab
January 8th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Functionality

user1397
January 8th, 2010, 02:35 AM
well both, but even those things aren't the biggest factors some would argue. factors such as no OEM support, hardware driver support, and lack of unity.

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM
the fact that linux is so buggy sometimes doesnt help

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Education.

I.E.:
They dont teach how to use a Text Editor, they teach you how to use Microsoft Word.
memorizing where's X option on the Menu,
and not to use keyboard, or CLI parameters, or even customize the app,
get skills on these app only, and pay full/enterprise/ultimate/whatever version,
time to time, when you pay and change to 2007, you dont understand nothing,
and feel like taking(paying again) an Office 2007 course,
if someday you dont have Microsoft Office you dont know nothing but Microsoft,
you dont know other free/libre/$0 tools, and want to pay to work.

PAY

jrusso2
January 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Its the terrible and poorly thought out interface and lack of stability.

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Dont need interface,
in example, Gimp-ninjas know how to draw using CLI, with Python-Fu,
Photoshop-ninjas dont know how to use CLI to draw something.

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Dont need interface,
in example, Gimp-ninjas know how to draw using CLI, with Python-Fu,
Photoshop-ninjas dont know how to use CLI to draw something.

http://blog.pucp.edu.pe/media/497/20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM

beastrace91
January 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Its the terrible and poorly thought out interface and lack of stability.

I could say the same thing about some non-open source software/operating systems.

IMO its lack of familiarity. OOO, Firefox, and Ubuntu in general does more than enough to suit most people's computing needs.

~Jeff

ricky rodgers
January 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM
yes yes yes i am so new at ubuntu i am going back to windows i love this system but in ubuntu it is all put this in and that in but if you say where you get nothing back with windows you just tick the boxes in ubuntu you have to find them ?????

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM

honey i said it before, you cant afford this.

bartonski
January 8th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Um... I'm a person, and I'm not put off by Linux in the least.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Um... I'm a person, and I'm not put off by Linux in the least.

Ah. The rest of us aren't human.

chillicampari
January 8th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I know a lot of people (including myself) who use both and base it on project or task. Our shop uses whatever works best for the project, from avidemux or virtualdub to Vegas, Edius or whatever else. Some things can be done in paint.net or gimp, but print work for the art dept is usually Photoshop.

xuCGC002
January 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I could say the same thing about some non-open source software/operating systems.

IMO its lack of familiarity. OOO, Firefox, and Ubuntu in general does more than enough to suit most people's computing needs.

~Jeff

nope, because the average computer user is a hardcore gamer who goes out and buys the latest high-quality games, who, in addition, owns a very high-powered system with proprietary hardware.

:P

murderslastcrow
January 8th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I hope you're being sarcastic. XD Average meaning that gaming is common to the majority of computer users, in opposition of not buying the latest games?

Not everyone is a 10-30 year old gamer, and even from that group a lot more buy consoles than play Windows games bought from the store.

I really hope you're joking.

P.S. All my friends who buy massive crazy gaming builds have their hardware fully supported by Linux. I guess I'm just lucky enough not to know who you're talking about.

xuCGC002
January 11th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I really hope you're joking.

Good, because I am. I'm assuming you have smilies disabled?