PDA

View Full Version : I've heard that linux has no ActiveX or registry. What does this mean?

JohneG
January 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I've read this on this site. I kind of understand registry files but can someone explain to me in the easiest to understand/for dummies way what they both are and why its so good that linux doesn't use these?

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I've read this on this site. I kind of understand registry files but can someone explain to me in the easiest to understand/for dummies way what they both are and why its so good that linux doesn't use these?

The registry is a way for Windows to record information which it uses to help work with programs, settings, and other things. ActiveX is a IE(and other Windows programs) only framework.

Skripka
January 8th, 2010, 12:43 AM
What it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX

Why doesn't linux have it?
Because ActiveX is copyrighted and made to work only with Windows

What it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

Why doesn't Linux have it?
Because it is a bloated mess that we should be glad to get rid of. We have no need of it-since we don't need to really worry about keeping software locked down. Half the time it is broken or infected, and the other half it slows down your computer.

cariboo
January 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Linux uses plain text files for configuration, while you need a special editor to edit the Windows registry. In general terms if the registry gets corrupted your Windows installation is toast, where as if one of the configurations files get corrupted in Linux, you can fix the file using a plain text editor and continue on. ActiveX, is a Microsoft scripting standard, that doesn't work on non-Windows operating systems.

yester64
January 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Linux uses plain text files for configuration, while you need a special editor to edit the Windows registry. In general terms if the registry gets corrupted your Windows installation is toast, where as if one of the configurations files get corrupted in Linux, you can fix the file using a plain text editor and continue on. ActiveX, is a Microsoft scripting standard, that doesn't work on non-Windows operating systems.

Hehe.. correct it is. Your windows will be definitely toast if it get corrupt or edited wrong.
ActiveX was and is, if i am not wrong, a Java replacement from Microsoft. It communicates with your OS from the Web. Example, a website can access your computer through a script and if trusted update your files, if fishy it could wipe out your harddrive.

In regards of registry, thats why linux is better in not toasting your OS. In the end, it is how an OS is designed to work and stores information.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hehe.. correct it is. Your windows will be definitely toast if it get corrupt or edited wrong.
ActiveX was and is, if i am not wrong, a Java replacement from Microsoft. It communicates with your OS from the Web. Example, a website can access your computer through a script and if trusted update your files, if fishy it could wipe out your harddrive.

In regards of registry, thats why linux is better in not toasting your OS. In the end, it is how an OS is designed to work and stores information.

It's not just the web - it can be used by other applications.

Methuselah
January 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM
The registry is a scary, scary thing.
HKEY_LOCAL_USER GUID=0x112384%^#$#43!!!~!!@~!~:o:o lpszTring DWORD FWORD

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Because we think,
ActiveX is the biggest security hole in the history of PCs.
Registry is the most complicated thing, except for egipcian simbols.