PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linksys USB thing

what, what?
January 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM
So wireless internet hasent worked on my laptop for nearly a year now, and long story short, during the summer I bought this linksys usb adapter thingamajig (wow thingamajig is spelled correctly?) and I treid to get it to work but didn't because I got liittle help. And I found it laying around yesterday and wanted to try again. It is this right here: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WUSB54GC
i dont the have setup cs anymore, but theres driver downloads on the site for it, which do i download? windows 7 or setup wizard?

I think there is a program that can get that working for me, so if there is one, help is MUCH appreciated!

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
and i installed ndis wrapper from package manager but cant find it

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 01:37 AM

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I have tried all the inf files and it keeps saying invalid driver! I'm mostly sure that my adapter is compatable. What am I doing wrong?

carlexpc
January 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I suggest you build a custom kernel. Linux kernel version 2.6.32.2 supports Linksys WUSB54GC which uses a Ralink chipset.

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I suggest you build a custom kernel. Linux kernel version 2.6.32.2 supports Linksys WUSB54GC which uses a Ralink chipset.

I have no idea how to do that

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have no idea how to do that

So then...

Darce
January 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

Good Luck !!

what, what?
January 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Good Luck !!

erm, is there an easier way to do this?

pdc
January 8th, 2010, 11:53 PM
you can try that; or I got a similar device going

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281183

you need to plod through and follow the instructions

jivabill
January 10th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Read thru the posts so far on this thread. I am sorry to say that this is a perfect example of why Ubuntu and Linux in general will remain the domain of computer geeks.

It is a little much for the OS to expect a user to know how to rebuild a kernel to use a USB Adapter.

As a for instance, I have a Linksys Wifi Adapter. I plugged it into the laptop of a friend who runs XP. It automatically downloaded the driver AND configured the wifi connection and was connected and running wifi in under 5 minutes.

That is how it should operate on Ubuntu. The fact that it does not and is not at all easy to get working for newbies is a big public relations blunder and keeps Ubuntu's penetration into the market place at a minimum.
My two cents.
bill

pdc
January 11th, 2010, 12:15 AM
you are right jivabill that rebuilding a kernel is rather an ask !!

My last post gave a link to instructions:

you need to copy and paste each instruction for it to work, but it worked on 9.04 for me

I installed linux mint recently: an ubuntu derivative; I was pleasantly surprised how well the Samsung ML-2010 printer installed; as soon as turned on, Mint autoconfigured it; (as you describe); that would be great for everyone

what, what?
January 12th, 2010, 03:17 AM
you are right jivabill that rebuilding a kernel is rather an ask !!

My last post gave a link to instructions:

you need to copy and paste each instruction for it to work, but it worked on 9.04 for me

I installed linux mint recently: an ubuntu derivative; I was pleasantly surprised how well the Samsung ML-2010 printer installed; as soon as turned on, Mint autoconfigured it; (as you describe); that would be great for everyone

It works with linux mint? My usb thing because I know it comes with ndiswrapper before and I have a linux mint cd with me but i need to know first..

what, what?
January 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM
It works with linux mint? My usb thing because I know it comes with ndiswrapper before and I have a linux mint cd with me but i need to know first..

Well?

what, what?
January 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Response please? I need to have wireless internet working by friday or ill have to pay to get it fixed

what, what?
January 13th, 2010, 12:03 AM
bump

what, what?
January 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM
And another bump

what, what?
January 14th, 2010, 01:08 AM
bump?