PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet drops out

Eterniam
January 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi,

We have three computers at home. I have the only one running Linux, the other two are running Windows XP and using Belkin Wireless G USB Adapters. I started using Linux around November, and used a powerline ethernet cable. (It consists of two parts. One part you plug into your router and the power socket beside it, and the other you plug into your computer and the power socket beside that. It then uses the power lines as a network, and acts like a normal ethernet cable. I used the 'Auto eth0' connection without much problem). Back then, my internet would stop working once every few hours but only for firefox. Other programs such as bittorrent and Spotify continued working.

However, since I got back from holiday a few days ago the situation's worse. The internet regularly pauses (every few minutes, including spotify and msn) for about 30 seconds, and then comes back. Downloads are not cancelled, as they are when I am disconnecting from the internet, they merely seem to pause. The other two computers in our house don't have this problem, and I have tried the wireless adapter, yet it seems to pause at the same times as the wired connection. I know that it too used to work back in November. Does anyone know what to do?

Eterniam
January 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I still have this problem (bump)

Eterniam
January 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
If you want more information, please let me know (bump)

Eterniam
January 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hi, I tested my internet connection on the Windows 7 partition and the Ubuntu Live CD, and they both had the same problem with the connection dropping out. I don't think it can be my hardware, because they would -both- have had to have stopped working over the holiday, and I don't think that it's my network card because as far as I know a USB Dongle doesn't use the network card.

Does this mean that it's a problem with my router? I'm using the O2 Wireless Box II

Edit: I think it is my connection to my router, because I can't connect to 192.168.1.254 (my router settings) whilst the connection is lulling. But if that's a problem with my computer or my router and how do sort it, I don't know. Any help? Should I try a different forum?

Eterniam
January 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Bump

Eterniam
January 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Bump.

pricetech
January 21st, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm guessing the issue is with your power line adapter. I've never used one, but they can't possibly be as good as a standard network cable.

If you can run a cable, even temporarily to test the connection, that would be the best way to eliminate that possibility.

Having a bad port on your router is not out of the question. You might also try connecting to a different port on the router.

Do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Eterniam
February 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply! I gave up on the thread, thinking I wasn't going to get a reply. I have run an Ethernet cable to my computer and this seems to work flawlessly. I've decided that tomorrow I'll be fixing the cable in place permanently. Thanks, pricetech.