PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 'features'

alfu
January 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM
VERDICT SO FAR: NO COMPELLING REASON TO UPGRADE

I have just installed 9.10 after 9.04 became a pet rock (checked the dodgy Network Manager for re-installation and it no longer booted). Most of the changes seem to be graphic rather than structural.

The good:

1) The NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996 seems to be more robust. I have not yet had to reboot in order to get online.

2) The Package Manager now allows you to dispose of Evolution Mail. In 9.04 it refused to do so!

The neutral:

1) Some screen savers were ditched to make room for the bloat the additional graphics incurred. My favorite one got canned. That's OK, LCDs don't need screen savers at all, anyway.

The not-so-good:

1) The Flash player plug-in for Firefox is dodgy. Even after clicking the big 'play' button, it gives a black screen in Google maps street view, and text entry into web page fields is not reliable (Firefox worked fine in 9.04)

2) At logon all users are listed -- this is a needless security hazard, and I can't find a way to turn it off.

3) The Ubuntu Software Center that replaced the Applications Add/Remove only fetches apps one at a time, so you have to wait for one to finish before starting the next. It also gives you no view of what components will be installed nor how big they are.

4) The scrollwheel to switch between workspaces is no longer supported.

5) Double-clicking to toggle between Image Viewer windowed/fullscreen modes is no longer supported.

Some things that do not seem to be fixed yet:

1) Permissions are still a big problem. I found and tried to save user prefs from Firefox, only to be told I did not have permission for copying all of them.

2) Still no "Restore from previously saved user profile" option on the Live CD, or under the System Administration menu. Ubuntu is the only modern O/S I know of that does not provide for user profile backup/restores.

3) Movie Player still does not play DVDs, .MPEGs or .WMV files. Why bother including it? VLC media player does play all these things.

4) The buggy swiss-army knife wannabee Evolution Mail is still included with the distro. Most users seem to be happier with Mozilla Thunderbird.

5) Activating the 'Properties' of a directory still yields no information about what physical device/partition it is on. There is nothing you can copy and paste into the terminal to effect anything useful. You have to launch GPartEd to determine this stuff, and although it is present on the Live CD, it does not install:shock: