PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem when upgrading, please help

alexdf990
January 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
i have recently installed linux ubuntu and set it up, i was then promted to install updates (roughly 174). i did this, however once the updates had been downloaded, they continue to install then about halfway through it freezes, nothing happens and time does not fix this problem.
I have restarted the laptop and 4 options appear, including recovery menu's, i have re-installed ubuntu as what i tried from that menu did not work. It has now happened again, is there a way i can avoid, or fix this problem?
thanks alex,

gordintoronto
January 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
More info, please. What version? Installed how? (As the sole OS, in a dual-boot, from wubi, or under Virtualbox). How much space did you allocate to it? In one partition or more? How much memory on your computer?

If you do a wubi install, the default amount of space for Ubuntu is too small in at least one version. (I forget which one.)

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
i have recently installed linux ubuntu and set it up, i was then promted to install updates (roughly 174). i did this, however once the updates had been downloaded, they continue to install then about halfway through it freezes, nothing happens and time does not fix this problem.
I have restarted the laptop and 4 options appear, including recovery menu's, i have re-installed ubuntu as what i tried from that menu did not work. It has now happened again, is there a way i can avoid, or fix this problem?
thanks alex,

If you can run the Live CD, that is choosing "Try without changes ...." from the initial boot menu go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and copy-n-paste these commands:

lspci | grep VGA

cat /proc/cpuinfo

free -m

Then copy-n-paste all of those results back here.

I rather suspect an Xorg issue but that hardware info will help.