PDA

View Full Version : Linux Certifications

alien8predator
January 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Even though I'm still a beginner with Linux/Ubuntu I would like to become a more advanced user. Studying for Linux certifications and work my way up to Linux Server Administrator or Server Management sounds like fun because I find it working with Linux is quite fun. I would like some advice as in what's best in course of study if I want to work in that direction?

juancarlospaco
January 7th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Ubuntu Server is a nice OS for server, growing, and got Course at Canonical.

i never liked Red Hat, seems so insecure, it run up every service at boot,
needed or not, and RPM is not so nice as DEB, but got Certification too.

adelphos
January 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
For certification, many people speak highly of LPI (http://www.lpi.org/), and their certification carries some weight with companies who hire Linux professionals, I believe. Also, I think the Ubuntu Certified Professional certification is based upon LPI level 1 (there are three levels of certificates).

As for study... it seems that a lot of people like the book Linux in a Nutshell (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596009304). There are also courses to prepare for those certification exams. However, for now, I'd just advise you to have fun playing with Linux. Be daring, and learn as much as you can by doing.

gdonwallace
January 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It really depends on what direction you want to go.

If you want to focus on one version of linux, there there are the Red Hat certifications. They are all Red hat all the time. As a side note, they are also pretty expensive. Uncertain at this time how many tests are needed, last time I checked, it was 4 or 5.

As Novell acquired Suse Linux, they also offer certifications; but these certifications focus on Suse Linux. Novel has 2 tests to pass to become certified.

Before going further, there is nothing wrong with the above two, if you intend to admin Suse or Red Hat.

For an over all Linux cert, one that covers pretty much anything you would need to know about admin on any linux distro there are a couple options. I my self am studying the LPI certification (Linux Professional Institute) It does not concentrate on any one distro, but does cover things necessary to administer "Linux" (i.e. it will teach you things that should / would work on most Linux distros, some things may be just a little different, but a little work and research will fix that easily) LPI Certification has a total of 6 tests to certify at the Senior level. There are 2 tests per level. To keep your certification, you simply retake the highest level test that you previously took, and you must do this every 5 years.

The final option is CompTIA Linux+. Much like LPI, this cert does not focus on one specific distro of Linux. For those that know, this is much like the A+ certification. Don't know much about this one as well.

Take a look at this website (http://gocertify.com/faq/linuxfaq.shtml) it has some information about the above mentioned certifications and links for each of them.

Good luck in which ever you choose.

alien8predator
January 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice :)

Khakilang
January 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Best of luck to you. You seem to have that spirit to better yourself.