PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install three separate versions of ubuntu

edmundtran
January 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Dear All,

Losing the will to live with this problem- its very tricky! I'm a beginner ubuntu user, though with enough experience to set up dual boot with windows.

Currently, I am running dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 on an Acer Travelmate 5520. For reasons which I'll leave out of this discussion, I wanted to downgrade to 8.04 or 8.10 via a fresh install off a boot cd.

I created a boot cd of 8.10, popped it in and selected install ubuntu. The logo pops up, with the usual progress bar. However after a few mins the CD stops, and there is no activity. After a few more minutes a black screen appears with the message: BUG: Soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s.

I then tried a boot cd of 8.04. This time, when attempting to install ubuntu, I end up with a black screen with error message: kernel panic- not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Lastly, I decided to experiment with my current version, 9.04. I grabbed the boot CD and low and behold.. problems again. Not getting passed the 'install ubuntu' option. This is very concerning since the version I am running right now is 9.04! Which means at this stage it doesn't look like I can do any installs of any versions of ubuntu!

I might note that not even the first option of trying ubuntu works. Does anyone have any suggestions / search topics / advice they can offer me?

Thanks in advance
Ed

snowpine
January 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Can you boot into "Live" mode by choosing "Try Ubuntu with no change to your computer"?