PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Widescreen monitor problems Ubuntu 8.10Hi there, I recently bought myself a 22" wides

seancyril
January 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi there, I recently bought myself a 22" widescreen LG monitor and am running Ubuntu 8.10 with it. Trouble is when I set the screen resolution to 1920*1080 which is the actual resolution of the monitor it shrinks the text and web pages to miniscule proportions. Text becomes tiny and web pages with firefox display as a column occupying about a third of the screen.
I have to decrease the resolution to 1024*768 which makes web pages display better (at least they take up the whole screen) but the text becomes too large and stretched and looks pretty ugly - as well as giving me a headache.
Is there some way to install the proprietory drivers that came with the monitor? They are an .inf file on the supplied disc
I have a Nividia graphics card a GE Force FX 5200
I also have the 173.14.12 Nividia driver installed if this means anything to anyone- not to me!
Has anyone else had similar problems trying to get Ubuntu set up on a widescreen monitor and managed to solve the problem?

Any suggestions welcome

Many thanks
Sean

darkod
January 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
You have to take into account that most websites are not designed to expand according to monitor resolution. On 1024 most of them take the whole screen because that is quite common resolution for website design right now. That way it displays OK on older monitors, and on new ones.
With your monitor being 1920 most of the websites would be centered in the middle of it. The text will be small to read, but you can enlarge the text size, icons size, etc to make it better.
The video driver would only be relevant to your graphics card, not the monitor. If you have the correct driver, that's it.

seancyril
January 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. I've settled on a resolution which although now doesn't take up the whole screen at least displays web pages better and doesn't hurt to look at:)

jmszr
January 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Sean,

I recently bought an Acer H213H monitor (21.5 inch) and here are a couple of tips that I used to at least allow 1280x800 (full-screen). You can always switch to 1920x1080 for movies.

1.) System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts > Details > Resolution > Try different DPI's to see what suits you.

2.) Install the Firefox Add-on NoSquint: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592 . This can help a good bit.