PDA

View Full Version : I've thought of a new name of gnome.. (Not a joke.. ;-))

mahela007
January 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Wouldn't it be cooler if GNOME was called 'Gee- nome' instead of gnome? You know.. as in the human genome.. ? The meaning of the name doesn't have to change (GNU network object <something>).. only the sound will be different. Right now when I hear gnome it brings to mind a small impish creature in fairy tales.. Gee-nome sounds more .. cutting edge. Also, IMHO, the foot print logo wouldn't have to change either... it fits in very well the the human beings theme that the name 'gee-nome' brings with it..
(No offence to those who came up with the name gnome. This is just my opinion. I don't even know it it's already called 'gee-nome')

Chronon
January 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Here's a previous pronunciation thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=359324

Someone there also had the "genome" idea.

mahela007
January 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I'm thinking about an official name change...

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 02:26 AM
da notorious g.e.e-nome.

or something.

user1397
January 8th, 2010, 02:45 AM
how about a hard G as in gadget, so G-nome ;)

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Do it.

Fork and Rename

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
its too nerdy

juancarlospaco
January 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Dont Do it.

Its too nerdy

felious_fadger
January 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Dont Do it.

Its too nerdy

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

but you cant afford me. so save your fingers.

mahela007
January 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Do it.

Fork and Rename
I don't have anywhere near the experience that would need.. ;-)

and for the post above... That's a novel phrase. I've never heard that one.. ;-).
I'm not feeling offended or anything but as for calling the name nerdy, I don't see how that name would be nerdy.. Now call it 'the human footprint' and that would be nerdy..

TironN
January 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
how about a hard G as in gadget, so G-nome ;)

How about a hard G as in Gansta?

docus
January 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I really like the idea, 'Genome' has a far deeper resonance to me that 'Gnome'. Nice thinking!

orlox
January 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I've always pronunciated as genome...It's far more prettier and profound to have my DE relate to something so fundamental to life, than to some tiny old people that in some cases have a tendency to steal underpants for their own personal gain...

mahela007
January 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
+1 to that.

chriswyatt
January 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I like GNOME; short, simple, easy to pronounce.

Eisenwinter
January 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I always pronounce gnome as "Gee Nome"... I actually thought that's how it's really pronounced. Guess not, heh.

speedwell68
January 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I believe it is correctly pronounced 'Guh-Nome'.

oedipuss
January 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I think it's kinda fine as it is :
http://www.myetymology.com/greek/gnome.html
Doesn't have to be a small impish creature, although I think the etymologies are related somehow.

edit: aHA (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gnome) .. so yeah kind of obscurely related.