PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use sabayon?

mamamia88
January 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
i am thinking of installing it on my netbook and was wondering if it was a good choice?

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't really played with it, the best thing to do would be to try it, since it includes loads of stuff there should be plenty to do. Also last time I looked at it, it included proprietary drivers for graphics and things so it should work on a great deal of setups.

mamamia88
January 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
cool downloading it now gonna be a good 3 hours before i get to try it out though

koshatnik
January 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
It sucked for me. Might not for you.

pwnst*r
January 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
On your netbook? If you're running Atom, good luck.

snowpine
January 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Sabayon is definitely worth checking out. It is a "bells and whistles" distro; lots of fun stuff to play with. I used it for a while on my Asus eee (atom-powered). I did not personally find it as stable as Ubuntu, but I am glad I tried it.

Paqman
January 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I fiddled with it a bit a couple of years back and it was pretty buggy. That may not be the case any more.

~sHyLoCk~
January 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I liked it. But you will need a little emerging idea. Not everything is as easy as "equo install".

mcduck
January 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Worked fine when I tried it, but it had way too much of junk I don't need and would never use.

Also the Gnome desktop on Sabayon didn't really feel finished (at least compared to Gnome on Ubuntu, or KDE on Sabayon). Since I'm quite happy with any desktop environment/window manager except KDE Sabayon just had to go. :)

chucky chuckaluck
January 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM
when i used it, it took forever to install anything.

Pogeymanz
January 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Sabayon is okay. It has a lot of bells and whistles, as someone mentioned. I do enjoy the KDE spin of it, but I prefer to just install Gentoo.

If I remember correctly, Sabayon was the first distro to have a well-working implementation of Beryl by default.

Paqman
January 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
If I remember correctly, Sabayon was the first distro to have a well-working implementation of Beryl by default.

Pretty sure that's why I installed it in the first place, but I went back to Ubuntu as Beryl became less of a hassle to install.

dragos240
January 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
i am thinking of installing it on my netbook and was wondering if it was a good choice?

It had a bit of problems when I tried it. Metacity/kwin could not close windows, you would have to close the program manually. Games didn't work. It was a bit clunky in my experience. I honestly didn't like it. It's good as a backup distro, or for chrooting.

mamamia88
January 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
wow my video driver and my broadcom driver work out of box on live cd

handy
January 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I used it for a couple of years, until they released a buggy upgrade which wouldn't work on my hardware anymore, it was the release when their binary package manager came in, (which I've never used).

Pre-binary packages installation was slow - download compile, like the Gentoo that Sabayon is/was, under the hood.

System upgrades were best done by doing a delta on on your previously downloaded DVD, to save all that downloading again; I did have a successful system upgrade from a delta-DVD.

I went to Mint-Xfce after Sabayon became a pain on my hardware. The Mint install was the simplest ever, all proprietary stuff was handled automatically, so it stays as my 2nd. box, emergency web access system.

Recently downloaded the Sabayon 5.1 Games DVD, It loaded fine into box .no.2. but it wouldn't let me turn compiz off, & there was display problems, (white text in white background system config' windows!). Though I could automatically access the web via firefox, & all hardware seemed to be working fine off of the liveDVD.

One day I may get bored & decide to install Sabayon 5.1 onto a HDD, where I will be able to get at a config' file & turn off Compiz if required. Though I'll be very surprised if it ever regains its place from Mint-Xfce on No.2.

drawkcab
January 8th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I few years ago I downloaded a sparse xfce spin of sabayon which was pretty nice on an old laptop.

Sabayon has otherwise been a bloated pig. I have no idea why you would put such a distro on a netbook.

In my short time using Sabayon I noticed that the repos would sometimes be unavailable which is really, really frustrating.

aktiwers
January 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I used Sabayon until I broke it. So thats about 2 months I guess.
I liked it very much, but I did not wan't to start all over again..

I accidentally ran:

emerge break-everything

or something like that :P

HappyFeet
January 8th, 2010, 06:11 AM

You actually got the package manager to work?

Sabayon? No thanks. If it doesn't do anything better than ubuntu, why bother?

Sublime Porte
January 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I used it a few years ago when it was still KDE3, I found it nice to use. Recently installed it because of all the problems I've had with 9.10 on my hardware, and found it still quite nice. However my HDD died a few days ago, so I put the HDD back in with 9.10.

But as mentioned, I don't know if it'd be sleek enough for a netbook, surely there's much better distros out there aimed at netbooks??

SmittyJensen
January 8th, 2010, 06:26 AM
right here.

slowest package manager i've ever used. almost feels as slow as emerge. i once tried equo worlding and it went so slow i just left it on overnight, woke up the next morning rebooted and xorg wouldn't start (later found out nvidia b0rked because of a new kernel).

as far as i'm concerned sabayon is the worst <supposedly-good> distro i've ever tried.

Nerd King
January 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14481 no major performance improvements for all the compilation faffery.

judge jankum
January 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I'm an Xubuntu person, but all the ladies here went crazy over Sabayon, and so far lucky for me it has worked out of the box on their machines..

BenAshton24
January 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Sabayon was the second distro that I tried, right after Ubuntu and it was one of the major things that got me interested in Linux. So for that I feel compelled to say that it is pretty awesome. Although I did find it quite buggy, it was still pretty amazing to see compiz/beryl in action, just hours after I had discovered Linux.

I do however agree with pwnst*r that it is not the best thing for a netbook. How about Arch? (I switched about a month ago and now i'm a total fanboy lol)

Ben

handy
January 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I haven't bothered checking, though from memory there are a variety of weights available for Sabayon installs. The DVD's had everything, LOTS of games the options to install a variety of desktops individually or in combination.

There are lighter CD versions & even with the DVD, when you install you can (or at least you could) chop out quite a lot of the packages.

Still, I too agree with the others, I wouldn't use Sabayon, or any of the *buntu's for that matter on a Netbook.

dspari1
January 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Sabayon is a great distro, and it gives a very nice KDE experience. It is very bleeding edge though, so you'll run into bugs every once in a while.

BrokenKingpin
January 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Sbayon is a good distro, but I wouldn't recommend it for a netbook. Not that it has performance issues, but it does come with A LOT of extra bloat in terms of software installed by default.

snowpine
January 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
During the few weeks I had it installed, Sabayon ran perfectly fine on my Asus netbook with 160gb hard drive. People underestimate what netbooks are capable of. I would not, however, recommend Sabayon for an Asus 2g surf with 2gb SSD. ;)

There are two package managers: you can do things the slow Gentoo way (compiling from source) but there is also a binary package installer (Sulfur) similar to Ubuntu's.

I ended up replacing it with Fedora 12, which so far has been faster and more stable. Less stuff was pre-installed, but it was easy to grab what I needed from RPM Fusion.