PDA

View Full Version : Any other KDE user getting this?

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Recently switched over to KDE from Gnome sense the development of kcm_touchpad and while trying to go to facebook in konquer its jumps to "http://m.facebook.com/?w2m" instead which is obviously a phishing site. Does it do this for anyone else? And while at it where does konqueror stash its cookies and such?

Psumi
January 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM
konquerer is severely unpolished anyway, you shouldn't use it unless you really have to.

Just like Gahleon is to GNOME.

Nerd King
January 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think it's a phishing site, rather it's more likely that the site doesn't know what to do with your browser and is serving up the mobile version.

Psumi
January 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't think it's a phishing site, rather it's more likely that the site doesn't know what to do with your browser and is serving up the mobile version.

Basically what happens when you try searching google when identifying as Firefox in Midori.

GeneralZod
January 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
And while at it where does konqueror stash its cookies and such?

I'm not at my KDE computer at the moment, but it should be somewhere in ~/.kde/share/apps, with a name like "kcookiejar".

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
It isn't a phishing site, it's what's called up for mobile devices. Might be a browser ID problem, now I've never used Facebook but does it just happen every single time you visit it.

konquerer is severely unpolished anyway, you shouldn't use it unless you really have to.

Keep your opinions to yourself.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
It isn't a phishing site, it's what's called up for mobile devices. Might be a browser ID problem, now I've never used Facebook but does it just happen every single time you visit it.

Really? You recommend using konquerer to browse the web? That's just plain wrong.

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Really? You recommend using konquerer to browse the web? That's just plain wrong.

It's a great file manager. I don't use it for browsing the web however if the OP wants to use it, let them use it, simple as.

Psumi
January 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM

No, NoaHall, the point of keeping my opinions to myself is so that the topic doesn't get off-topic, as you have dragged it.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It's a great file manager. I don't use it for browsing the web however if the OP wants to use it, let them use it, simple as.

I agree with file managing(although on KDE I prefer Dolphin), but not for web browsing. I'm not sure why anyone would combine the two.

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Yeap happens every time i visit. But if thats the mobile version then I guess I can breath a sigh of relief lol thought maybe somehow konqueror was compromised.

lykwydchykyn
January 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Konqueror doesn't work well with facebook due to javascript issues, at least the last time I tried it. That may be why facebook sends it to the mobile page.

Try Arora if you want a KDE browser that works with facebook. I thought it was going to be the new default browser for Kubuntu, but I could be wrong.

Xbehave
January 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Recently switched over to KDE from Gnome sense the development of kcm_touchpad and while trying to go to facebook in konquer its jumps to "http://m.facebook.com/?w2m" instead which is obviously a phishing site. Does it do this for anyone else? And while at it where does konqueror stash its cookies and such?
it's a mobile redirect site, just "click here" for the main site or type http://www.facebook.com/?m2w into your browser next time. TBH konqueror isn't that bad, i use firefox, but i've played about with aroura, konqueror and rekonq and while aroura & rekonq have more of the features you expect from a modern browser there isn't anything 'wrong' with konqueror.

hanzomon4
January 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
it's a mobile redirect site, just "click here" for the main site or type http://www.facebook.com/?m2w into your browser next time. TBH konqueror isn't that bad, i use firefox, but i've played about with aroura, konqueror and rekonq and while aroura & rekonq have more of the features you expect from a modern browser there isn't anything 'wrong' with konqueror.

Nothing wrong with it at all just make sure you have other browsers on hand so you can actually browse the web.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all just make sure you have other browsers on hand so you can actually browse the web.

This. Hehe.

OP: I really recommend using a proper web browser, not some hacked-together non-sense.

aaaantoine
January 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
while trying to go to facebook in konquer its jumps to "http://m.facebook.com/?w2m" instead which is obviously a phishing site.

Not a phishing site, as said earlier. I've added emphasis to illustrate the difference between a legit site and an illegit site.

Note that the last two parts of the domain name are facebook.com. .com is the top level domain. facebook immediately precedes it. That means regardless of whatever comes before "facebook.com", you are visiting the facebook.com domain.

Now, if you found yourself at "http://facebook.com.zxy.cn", you would have cause for alarm.

Some browsers, such as IE8 and Google Chrome, highlight the top two levels of the domain to emphasize this same point.

Xbehave
January 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Try Arora if you want a KDE browser that works with facebook. I thought it was going to be the new default browser for Kubuntu, but I could be wrong.Your wrong, Arora doesn't integrate with kde so i doubt it will become default, but I could be wrong.

rekonq integrates somewhat better with kde (but isn't as polished as arora, however i think the most likely default for kubuntu is still konqueror just using the webkit renderer by default).

Xbehave
January 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
OP: I really recommend using a proper web browser, not some hacked-together non-sense.How is konqueror hacked together? Do you even know where webkit came from?

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Don't you folks mean Aurora Browser and at anyrate anyone know its homepage?

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
How is konqueror hacked together? Do you even know where webkit came from?

Yes, I know where webkit came from - Apple. I mean hacked together in the sense that it's a file manager and web browser - two programs, hacked together into one. Not a good idea.

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, I know where webkit came from - Apple. I mean hacked together in the sense that it's a file manager and web browser - two programs, hacked together into one. Not a good idea.

hey thats enough you two this topic isn't wither or not konqueror is a viable browser.

Skripka
Don't you folks mean Aurora Browser and at anyrate anyone know its homepage?

http://code.google.com/p/arora/

Tis a cross platform Webkit browser based on Qt...but does not integrate with KDE in terms of featureset/bookmarks etc. Rekonq does, but is at an earlier stage in development, although NewEgg is the only thing that causes problem for the little Rekonq-it does integrate and depends on KDElibs.

Konqueror with Webkit is quite good-but it still lacks a proper session management.

Nerd King
Presumably copying Microsoft. Personally, Dolphin for file management and Firefox/Chrome/Opera for web browsing. I prefer a program to do one thing and do it well ;)

RiceMonster

And where did Apple start WebKit from? It's a fork of KHTML. That was the point being made.

But regardless, it really doesn't matter if you like Konqueror or not. That's not the point of this thread.

Skripka
January 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
And where did Apple start WebKit from? It's a fork of KHTML. That was the point being made.

But regardless, it really doesn't matter if you like Konqueror or not. That's not the point of this thread.

beat me to it.

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
http://code.google.com/p/arora/

Tis a cross platform Webkit browser based on Qt...but does not integrate with KDE in terms of featureset/bookmarks etc. Rekonq does, but is at an earlier stage in development, although NewEgg is the only thing that causes problem for the little Rekonq-it does integrate and depends on KDElibs.

Konqueror with Webkit is quite good-but it still lacks a proper session management.

Thanks.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM

Yes, and? It's still hacked together.

Well, it is a bit if the OP thinks he's got a virus because of how websites handle Konqueror.

And if the OP really wanted/needed help, he should have posted in General Help :)

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Well, it is a bit if the OP thinks he's got a virus because of how websites handle Konqueror.

Wasn't saying there was a virus. I was just concerned with the redirect and came here to see if anyone else was experiencing the redirect from konqueror.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Wasn't saying there was a virus.

Well, you thought there was a serious problem - if you consider phishing to be serious.

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Well, you thought there was a serious problem - if you consider phishing to be serious.

phishing != virus

Skripka
January 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, and? It's still hacked together.

No, it simply hasn't received any substantial development since KDE4 1st came out. To be honest KHTML needs to be dropped in favor of WebKit, the proposal has been out there but keeps getting pushed back. Most of Konqueror's problems stem from sticking to Ye Olde KHTML.

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
phishing != virus

If your web browser is being redirected to a phishing site when you open it, most people would consider it a virus-based problem from their experiences ;) I'm sorry to have grouped you in with those people. Won't happen again, ma'am.

MasterNetra
January 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
*Isn't a girl*

NoaHall
January 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
*Isn't a girl*

-,- Sorry then, Sire, I meant not to group you with females either, it was merely the first thing that came to mind.

Xbehave
January 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
No, it simply hasn't received any substantial development since KDE4 1st came out. To be honest KHTML needs to be dropped in favor of WebKit, the proposal has been out there but keeps getting pushed back. Most of Konqueror's problems stem from sticking to Ye Olde KHTML.
It's because mainting others code is a lot harder than maintaining your own, effort is being made to support webkit as a rendering engine for konqueror but i don't know if it will ever become default.

BTW when using xwindows/reparenting/khtml the fact one "browser" does two things doesn't really mean anything, you can also watch videos and edit text files in konqueror, this isn't ie where trident is tied into the OS. Infact the navigation interfaces were quite similar for web browser and file browsers, that is why using a common UI was a good idea, why have 2UIs and with 2 codebases when you can have one UI and use different kparts for web and filebrowsing (if you use konqueror or dolphin you use the same filebrowser). Anyway if you think konqueror is hacked together you really don't have a clue about konqueror, it is a perfectly good browser (not a great one, but perfectly good) especially when you use webkit for rendering!

lykwydchykyn
January 7th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Your wrong, Arora doesn't integrate with kde so i doubt it will become default, but I could be wrong.

rekonq integrates somewhat better with kde (but isn't as polished as arora, however i think the most likely default for kubuntu is still konqueror just using the webkit renderer by default).

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuKarmicWebbrowser
You're right, it's not integrated with KDE (just written in Qt), but it is the default web browser for Kubuntu.

Konqueror is more of a general purpose loader for Kparts, so it's more than "two programs hacked together". It's supposed to be sort of an "anything browser", but it just happens that the primary usage is file and web.