PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disable GNOME from boot!

Deathspike
January 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hello,

I've been trying to remove Ubuntu from the boot process. A lot of different resources show a lot of different solutions, none which worked for me. I've started out with a base server (9.10) and added a minimal GNOME installation (http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/156). Now I want to prevent GNOME from starting unless I specify to do so (startx)!

Using sysv-rc-conf I've disabled GDM for any run level. Then I have installed BUM to remove GNOME there as well. However, it's still starting and I can't seem to figure out why. Please help me out, what can be starting GNOME?!

Thanks for any help you may provide,
Deathspike

Deathspike
January 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Anyone?

m0o
January 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Try using update-rc.d:

sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

Leppie
January 9th, 2010, 11:26 PM
i would edit the upstart gdm.conf file:

gksudo gedit /etc/init/gdm.conf
edit the "start on" section to something like this:

start on (runlevel [345]
and filesystem
and started hal
and tty-device-added KERNEL=tty7
and (graphics-device-added or stopped udevtrigger))
stop on runlevel [0126]
this should boot runlevel 2 (default runlevel) in cli, also changing to runlevel 2 will automatically kill your x session.

falconindy
January 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Add 'text' to your kernel options in GRUB.

efflandt
January 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Wouldn't single in the kernel boot options boot to single user mode in a console (like the recovery menu entries)? Change any options in /etc/default/grub (not /boot/grub/grub.cfg which gets rewritten after any update-grub).

falconindy
January 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't single in the kernel boot options boot to single user mode in a console (like the recovery menu entries)? Change any options in /etc/default/grub (not /boot/grub/grub.cfg which gets rewritten after any update-grub).

Booting to single user mode means that you're forced into root access via recovery mode. You'd be forced to bring the system up to a multi user level manually, as continuing the boot process would start GDM...

The 'text' option simply boots normally but prevents your login manager from starting.

Deathspike
January 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
All these suggestions work great on 8.04, but not on 9.10.
This new start up manager is fishy >.<

Leppie
January 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
All these suggestions work great on 8.04, but not on 9.10.
This new start up manager is fishy >.<
i am using the modified gdm.conf with karmic and it's working great. setting up runlevels provides the possibility to easily change system setup.
change runlevels using telinit, for example:

sudo telinit 3

barnex
January 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
alternative:

edit the file:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager
replace the line:
/usr/bin/gdm by:
/bin/false

cheers

foxmajik
May 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
alternative:

edit the file:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager
replace the line:
/usr/bin/gdm by:
/bin/false

cheers

I tried this, but I found that after the system is done booting the boot splash with the animated dots stays on the screen indefinitely.