PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Wifi and Other WMs in Xubuntu?

imag1narynumber
January 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I installed Xubuntu 9.10 on my notebook, and I'd like to run PekWM and/or Xmonad on it. But how would I connect to wifi, either home or out and about? I typically find wicd used in other distros, but I can't figure out what app Xubuntu uses as a wifi-connection gui. So what would I run in Xmonad? And if I do install wicd, I don't want that to screw up what Xubuntu already uses, since that's how I've got my woman set up on the machine. Thanks for your help.

Jose Catre-Vandis
January 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Your connection manager should be the same, it is installed, regardless of the WM/DE you use. You may have to invoke it through the terminal though, or write a script, depending on how your alternate DM/WM handles menus and installed programs

imag1narynumber
January 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Your connection manager should be the same, it is installed, regardless of the WM/DE you use. You may have to invoke it through the terminal though, or write a script, depending on how your alternate DM/WM handles menus and installed programs

Yes, but what is the name of the manager in Xubuntu? Put another way, what would I "invoke" through dmenu in Xmonad?

Jose Catre-Vandis
January 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Have you tried loading a different WM/DE?

If so, check your ifconfig in a terminal. If nothing then its not happening automatically. Post output here. If something, try a ping or loading a website. If that doesn't work, post output here.

EDIT

Have just installed openbox on my Jaunty Xubuntu 9.04 setup. Logged out, logged in again with Openbox, connected to network/internet automatically - in fact this happens before you login!

imag1narynumber
January 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Have you tried loading a different WM/DE?

If so, check your ifconfig in a terminal. If nothing then its not happening automatically. Post output here. If something, try a ping or loading a website. If that doesn't work, post output here.

EDIT

Have just installed openbox on my Jaunty Xubuntu 9.04 setup. Logged out, logged in again with Openbox, connected to network/internet automatically - in fact this happens before you login!

I've installed PekWM, fluxbox, awesome3, and Xmonad. Nothing magical happens. I can only assume your wifi has no WPA2 or anything of the sort.

XubuRoxMySox
January 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Xubuntu ships with the Gnome network manager. You can add the Network Manager Applet to a panel on your desktop and configure it from there. Wicd should work fine if Network Manager doesn't suffice.

-Robin