PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] memtest86+ with "error: file not found" grub 2 problem

John Little
January 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I tracked this down, eventually:(, but I would have appreciated if the forums had given me guidance, so I'm adding the post I would have liked to have found.

The Karmic /boot/grub/grub.cfg entries for memtest86+ generated by /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ have a problem if /boot is on a different file system than /usr. This is reported as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/memtest86+/+bug/450351 and is reported as fixed in Lucid, but seems is not being fixed in Karmic.

If you just want to run it once, you can use the grub e command on an Ubuntu menu entry and note the "set root=" entry. Escape out of that and use e on the memtest86+ entry to add the same set root command on a line before the one that's there, so that it looks like, for example:

set root=(hd0,2)
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin

and run it with ctrl-x.

You can fix it in /boot/grub/grub.cfg but that will be overwritten the next time it is generated, or you can fix /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ to make it call prepare_grub_to_access_device in the way the other scripts do.

kitrule
January 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
i just noticed this too and i've been using karmic since alpha 3. thanks for the solution!

boxcorner
March 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Likewise memtest86+ has produced error: file not found since I re-installed Ubuntu 9.10 with /boot in a separate logical partition.