PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade to Karmic Problem

alexdnk
January 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hi! This is my first post. For a while I have been using Kubuntu Jaunty and installed the ubuntu-desktop package and the xubuntu-desktop package. I want to upgrade to Karmic, and I started and am upgrading from GNOME (like, from the original Ubuntu). Does that upgrade lget rid of KDE and XFCE? Does it only upgrade the Kubuntu packages and removes the Xubuntu and Ubuntu ones? Or does it keep all my desktop enviroiments, along with the packages?
Please answer quick.

EDIT: Thank you all, I sucessfully installed Karmic Koala now! I will try 10.04 on my desktop now. On my laptop, I need a realible on-the-go OS, so 9.10 will be perfect. But my desktop barely crashes, so Lucid is on the way. Thanks!

slakkie
January 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
No, all installed packages are upgraded where possible. You get to keep everything :)

alexdnk
January 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks! ;)

ajgreeny
January 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Any third party repos that you have added and any third party, unsupported applications will not be upgraded to karmic, however, so just be aware that some of those may well be broken, and need to be fixed separately.

alexdnk
January 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well, the only apps I installed are Minefield, Wine and The Midnight Commander.
Minefield has no chance of being deleted as it's pre-installed in the folder I extracted, I don't know if wine will be removed but I'll reinstall it if it is, and mc, oh well, it's a tiny download off apt-get.

alexdnk
January 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Not saying I should have stayed with Jaunty, but these are HUGE problems on Karmic. BTW: I use a IBM Thinkpad T30.
1.Whatever panel I make on KDE, it looks crap. You cant even see the widgets!!! But I sticked with widgets on the desktop. Pffft!
2. GNOME is slow as hell. It doesnt start most apps properly and only basic apps it gets through after 30 secs of loading time instead of 5 secs.
3. Only XFCE and LXDE work properly. KDE works 95% proper.
4.I cant go back to Jaunty cause my CD-ROM cant read(for quite some time) , or boot from any CD's. Windows: Doesnt read. Ubuntu: Nope BIOS: Cant boot.
5. I didnt save that loooooooong list of apps it installed in the ubuntu-desktop package so cant get rid of GNOME to install it again.
5 problems!!! ](*,) Help please! (leave no.4 alone)

EDIT: The only problem that really bugged me was 2, and it was fixed . KDE, I sticked with the widgets. Thank you all for your help.

Working List:

XFCE: 100%
Issues: None
LXDE: 100%
Issues:None
GNOME:100% (YES!!!)
Issues: None
KDE: 95% ](*,)
Issues: Logout and shut down screens look like colored lines on my screen, cant make panel's (looks like a white line, then if I add widgets its invisible except some white dots in the bar, widget descriptions look like colored lines.