PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Variables in array subscript

pokebirdd
January 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
According to this faq (http://c-faq.com/ansi/constasconst.html), I shouldn't be able to use variables in array subscripts in C. But when I try to compile

#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
const int maxline = 10;
char line[maxline];
printf("%s\n", line);
return 0;
}using the command
gcc -Wall buf.c , it compiles perfectly without error. This isn't part of any larger program, I'm simply curious as to why there isn't an error when the faq I read says:

One mild surprise is that const variables are not ``constant expressions'' as defined on page 38. You can't say something like

const int maxline = 1000;
char line[maxline+1]; /* WRONG */

PaulM1985
January 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Do you need to have char[] line[maxline]?

Paul

EDIT: After looking this up, I think I am wrong. Please ignore this post.

PaulM1985
January 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
To make amends for my dodgy post I have done some googling. For dynamic memory allocation on execution I think you need to use a pointer. This link explains it:

http://www.cs.bu.edu/teaching/cpp/string/array-vs-ptr/

I think you need point 4 "Dynamically-allocated string". If you are using C I think you will need to use free() on the pointer rather than delete which I believe is C++.

Paul

pokebirdd
January 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I probably didn't clarify what I wanted to do with this. To be honest, I know about dynamically allocating memory and stuff. It's just that I was reading up on K&R and some notes to accompany it when I came across something saying that you can't use variables as the array size in an array declaration.

So I just did some experimenting and found that gcc let's me declare an array with a variable size if I don't initialize it. I'm just a bit curious as to why you can declare such an array without problems when what I read(http://c-faq.com/ansi/constasconst.html) clearly says you cannot.;)

SeanHodges
January 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
According to this faq (http://c-faq.com/ansi/constasconst.html), I shouldn't be able to use variables in array subscripts in C. But when I try to compile

#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
const int maxline = 10;
char line[maxline];
printf("%s\n", line);
return 0;
}

using the command
gcc -Wall buf.c , it compiles perfectly without error. It's only when I try to initialize line that I get the error:

buf.c: In function ‘main’:
buf.c:19: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘char[(unsigned int)maxline]’ from type ‘char *’

Can someone pleases explain to me why gcc accepts the original declaration?

What compiler version are you using?

I compiled your example code with

gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

and it compiles and runs for me with no errors (-Wall enabled as well). In fact, I'm able to copy strings into it and it still doesn't complain.

Perhaps you are running a more recent (and supposedly more standards compliant) GCC?

dwhitney67
January 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM

#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
const int maxline = 10;
char line[maxline];
printf("%s\n", line);
return 0;
}

using the command
gcc -Wall buf.c , it compiles perfectly without error. It's only when I try to initialize line that I get the error:

buf.c: In function ‘main’:
buf.c:19: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘char[(unsigned int)maxline]’ from type ‘char *’

Can someone pleases explain to me why gcc accepts the original declaration?

Why don't you show the complete program you are using? The error you presented is a compiler error, and it occurs on line 19 of your code. Earlier you stated that you compiled without errors. :confused:

P.S. I bet you attempted something like:

line = "foo";

You can't do that; use strcpy() or the more IA-friendly strncpy().

pokebirdd
January 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm running

gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) 4.4.1and the thing is, I'm pretty sure my example code should produce an error. The thing is that there isn't one. Could it be that my resources are outdated (i.e. you can declare arrays with variable lengths instead of using pointers and dynamically allocating memory)?

Because this is what I've read says:

One mild surprise is that const variables are not ``constant expressions'' as defined on page 38. You can't say something like

const int maxline = 1000;
char line[maxline+1]; /* WRONG */
EDIT: Your right, I did assign a string to the array, my bad. But still, I understand why there isn't a compiler error

dwhitney67
January 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
EDIT: Your right, I did assign a string to the array, my bad. So there's no errors then.

A compiler error would be produced if you were to attempt to compile your code using the -ansi option. This forces the compiler to adhere to the ISO C90 standards, which forbids that type of declaration. Here's the warning:

warning: ISO C90 forbids variable length array ‘line’

To rectify the problem, you have two options:

Option 1:

#define MAXLINE 10

int main()
{
char line[MAXLINE];
}

Option 2:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
const int maxline = 10;
char* line = malloc(maxline);

free(line);

}

IMO, Option 2 is more widely used, and is more versatile. For instance, it allows one to grow the size of the array when/if needed.

pokebirdd
January 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Oh, so it's okay to use that type of declaration if I don't use the -ansi option? I assume it's bad practice though correct?

Also, if say I wanted to store constant strings (e.g. the dialogue in an adventure game), which would be preferred?

int main(){
char *dialogue = "Hello";
}
or

#define MAXLINE 100

int main(){
const char dialogue[MAXLINE] = "Hello";
}

dwhitney67
January 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Oh, so it's okay to use that type of declaration if I don't use the -ansi option? I assume it's bad practice though correct?

Yep.

Also, if say I wanted to store constant strings (e.g. the dialogue in an adventure game), which would be preferred?

int main(){
char *dialogue = "Hello";
}
or

#define MAXLINE 100

int main(){
const char dialogue[MAXLINE] = "Hello";
}
Neither format; the preferred format (which is very close to your first choice) is:

const char* dialogue = "Hello";

pokebirdd
January 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Ok, thanks a lot, that really helped! :D

SeanHodges
January 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
A compiler error would be produced if you were to attempt to compile your code using the -ansi option. This forces the compiler to adhere to the ISO C90 standards, which forbids that type of declaration. Here's the warning:

warning: ISO C90 forbids variable length array ‘line’

Adding the "-ansi" option does nothing for me:

[13:13:49 #520] sean@SEAN-PC:~/Desktop$ tee < test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
const int maxline = 10;
char line[maxline];
printf("%s\n", line);
return 0;
}
[13:14:07 #522] sean@SEAN-PC:~/Desktop$ gcc -ansi -Wall test.c -o test
[13:14:20 #523] sean@SEAN-PC:~/Desktop$ ./test

[13:14:22 #524] sean@SEAN-PC:~/Desktop$

Any idea why the -ansi switch does not produce that warning for me? Have I missed something?

dwhitney67
January 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Any idea why the -ansi switch does not produce that warning for me? Have I missed something?

I think I goofed earlier; it is not the -ansi, but the -pedantic that produces the error.

Try

gcc -Wall -pedantic test.c
test.c: In function 'main':
test.c:5: warning: ISO C90 forbids variable-size array 'line'

Here's the info on pedantic:

-pedantic
Issue all the warnings demanded by strict ISO C and ISO C++; reject all pro-
grams that use forbidden extensions, and some other programs that do not follow
ISO C and ISO C++. For ISO C, follows the version of the ISO C standard speci-
fied by any -std option used.

Valid ISO C and ISO C++ programs should compile properly with or without this
option (though a rare few will require -ansi or a -std option specifying the
required version of ISO C). However, without this option, certain GNU exten-
sions and traditional C and C++ features are supported as well. With this
option, they are rejected.

SeanHodges
January 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Try

gcc -Wall -pedantic test.c
test.c: In function 'main':
test.c:5: warning: ISO C90 forbids variable-size array 'line'

Great, that works thanks! I didn't think to check the manual.