PDA

View Full Version : sata II... outdated?

rainbowmagik
January 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Recently I consolidated alot of data, a bit over 4tb I think.
It litterally took days, at least the better half of two, with a transfer rate from 30 to 80 mb/s, depending on where the data was stored. I couldn't help thinking that it's way too slow, and the way file sizes and hard drives are becoming larger, it gets to a point where you just leave stuff alone because you can't be bothered.

So I ask the question, is sata II outdated and do we need a new mainstream storage solution, and don't say solid state, because it's waaay too expensive to be used by most home users or under large scale deployments.

I'm not an expert so I have no idea whether the systems I use are just slow or if there actually is something better... even if it transfered at 200 it would still be slow...

user1397
January 7th, 2010, 06:14 AM
It litterally took days, at least the better half of two, with a transfer rate from 30 to 80 mb/s, depending on where the data was stored. I couldn't help thinking that it's way too slow, and the way file sizes and hard drives are becoming larger, it gets to a point where you just leave stuff alone because you can't be bothered.

So I ask the question, is sata II outdated and do we need a new mainstream storage solution, and don't say solid state, because it's waaay too expensive to be used by most home users or under large scale deployments.

I'm not an expert so I have no idea whether the systems I use are just slow or if there actually is something better... even if it transfered at 200 it would still be slow...i still can't get the fact that you have 4TB of data out of my head...:popcorn:

shazbut
January 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM
The SATA bus isn't the culprit, it's the slow mechanical disks that can't take advantage of it. They can't even saturate the bus on SATA1.5, let alone SATA3.0.

chewearn
January 7th, 2010, 06:24 AM
SATA outdated? No way! I'm still on IDE. :mrgreen:

Grifulkin
January 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The SATA bus isn't the culprit, it's the slow mechanical disks that can't take advantage of it. They can't even saturate the bus on SATA1.5, let alone SATA3.0.

What they said. The reason that SSD's are so fast is because there are no moving parts and therefore can take advantage of the faster data transfers. Using a hard disk is what slows you down. I can't wait for SSD's to drop even a little in price, for this specific reason.

rainbowmagik
January 7th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Yes I understand the bus can do a lot faster, I probably phrased that badly, I meant the actual disk drives. Of course SSD's would be better but are way too expensive and the capacity is a bit of a joke, I think their going to milk the market that want fast boot drives before they move on to high capacity models. I have this fear though that in the future choosing between ssd and hdd will be like choosing between buffered and non buffered ram, I don't think the price will ever be reasonable if you need alot of them.

magmon
January 7th, 2010, 07:22 AM

I'm not an expert so I have no idea whether the systems I use are just slow or if there actually is something better... even if it transfered at 200 it would still be slow...

I've never filled more than 40 gig, even with a bunch of music, some movies and all the programs I could install xD