PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I think I did something very wrong.

ZomboZeZombie
January 7th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I am brand new to ubuntu.

I decided to switch over from windows after trying Wubi.

I made boot disks after downloading the .iso for ubuntu, and following all the instructions on the ubuntu website for making a boot disk. None of them worked.

I went with the USB install, which seemed to work perfectly. After waiting on the black screen with the blinking white cursor for a long time my computer finally booted Ubuntu. I was surfing the web and checking out ubuntu when my mousepad stopped working. Nothing happened for hours, so I shut it down. I reboot to try again, hoping it was just a one-time glitch, but then ubuntu wouldnt boot. It went to what I understand to be the GRUB menu and i selected the option to start ubuntu normally, and it went to the glowing ubuntu symbol, which was fluxuating but eventually stopped and sat frozen, I left it overnight, nothing happened.

i have tried everything I could think of like re-doing the USB installer set up, downloading a new .iso, wiping my hard drive and re-installing, no dice.

If anyone could help me that would be great, and if you want any more details just ask, like I said im new to ubuntu/linux, so I dont know much about how to work it.

Thank you.

Edit/More Info: Sometimes it will boot all the way then freeze, then i am forced to shut it down. Most of the time it wont boot, and it will freeze during boot.

iponeverything
January 7th, 2010, 06:09 AM
From what you posted, you have done nothing wrong.

It may just be issues what version on machine, if your using 9.10 I would try 9.04 instead.

ZomboZeZombie
January 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
From what you posted, you have done nothing wrong.

It may just be issues what version on machine, if your using 9.10 I would try 9.04 instead.

Ah, thank you, Ill go make a disk right now and see how it turns out!

Where can I download the older version?

iponeverything
January 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

and click on the mirror that makes sense for country that you are living in. When you click on the mirror you see directories for the older releases. When you go into the 9.04 directory you will see the iso images.

ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

is the standard iso for the intel desktop install..

ZomboZeZombie
January 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Alrighty! I bookmarked it, and thank you.

In the mean time I installed 8.04 so I could use my computer, and it works perfect.

Tomorrow Ill put 9.04 on and post the results, see you tomorrow.