PDA

View Full Version : How old is your keyboard?

Gizenshya
January 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
(see poll)

And if it's 'old,' do you prefer it over the newer ones for any particular reason?

MaxCarnage
January 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Had it since 2004 when I bought my HP. Don't have any particular love for it; just works so I have no motivation to spend money to replace it. I would probably prefer a black one to hide dirt better. :p

pwnst*r
January 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
There's a poll?

I have three, with the oldest one being a year old. My gaming pc's keyboard is 6 months old and by far my favorite. It's an apple keyboard. The super low travel of the keys sold me.

RiceMonster
January 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Only a few months.

chessnerd
January 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I have one that's 14 years young.

It's my favorite for four reasons:

1. It came from my family's first computer, which I will always have a soft spot in my heart for.

2. It has the old "Gateway 2000" logo with the gold "G" and full name, which is retro and way cooler than the "cow box."

3. I found it and nursed it back to health:
I needed a keyboard for my Linux desktop and I had recently found this old keyboard. So, I decided to clean it off and use it. The problem was, it was REALLY dirty (I'm talking dust, grime, split pop from nine years ago, etc.). But, that didn't stop me. I took it and cleaned off every individual key with alcohol and cleaned out the area behind the keys and blew it off with compressed air so now it looks like new.

4. It is incredibly hard to push down the keys compared to modern keyboards, which means that whenever I use it it is a unique experience and makes me wonder how I didn't break a finger when I was using it at age six...

There is but one issue other than really tough keys: The "M" key doesn't work too well. Otherwise, this old reliable keyboard should serve me well for years to come. ;)

JDShu
January 7th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I use a laptop. and the laptop is just less than 2 years old.

HappyFeet
January 7th, 2010, 05:19 AM
(see poll)

And if it's 'old,' do you prefer it over the newer ones for any particular reason?

It's getting tough to find new, and "acceptable" topics, isn't it?

vrkalak
January 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I have a fairly new (ex-Windows) PC but I use a Mac keyboard and mouse.
I love them, they work better for me. Smaller, simple in design ... made to 'be used'

When I asked the salesperson at the Mac store if they were Windows PC and Linux compatible . . . they had no idea?

But, the both worked 'outta the box' :P

chessnerd
January 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I have a fairly new (ex-Windows) PC but I use a Mac keyboard and mouse.
I love them, they work better for me. Smaller, simple in design ... made to 'be used'

When I asked the salesperson at the Mac store if they were Windows PC and Linux compatible . . . they had no idea?

But, the both worked 'outta the box' :P

Did the mouse at least have a right-click? :P

Jokes aside, I do think that Mac hardware is fine and I've found it to work with Linux. I booted into a Karmic Live CD on my roommate's Mac (with his permission of course) and it was actually able to use the Macbook Pro two-finger right click, so I don't find it that hard to think that Linux can support Mac hardware.

Back to the jokes, was it shaped like a hockey puck? Was the keyboard just one big wheel?

CharmyBee
January 7th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Old PS/2 keyboard manufactured in November 1997, all keys working great.

Gizenshya
January 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Yes.

I've had ome long-standing disagreements with friends about some things, and this is one. With this one, my arguement was that there are two primary populations (people who prefer older keyboards, and people who prefer newer ones) that could be defined in an appropriately made poll, and that it wouldn't take too many people to see the two populations. Therefore, the result I predicted the results would be exponential at the low end, but also have a population toward the upper end.

One of my friends disagreed with me and said that there would be only one primary population (people who use whatever newest keyboard they come across), which would result in an exponential at the lower end with no other significant population.

He has already conceeded defeat :D

I screwed up the condiment poll hardcore, but the results were still useful. (though I lost :( )

brian183
January 7th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I use a IBM model M circa 1984. Works like great just really loud.

magmon
January 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
(see poll)

I'm on a lappy, soooo... However, I have a silicone keyboard that is about 2 years old and an old dell desktop keyboard that is about 6 years old.

Icehuck
January 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
IBM Model M. Old, very old.

infestor
January 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
cleaning it sux so i just buy a new (cheap) one every ½ year.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I use the keyboard that came with a Compaq Precario about 6 years ago. Except for it being white and the rest of my computer stuff (monitor, speakers, case, mouse) being black I really like it. I like the way the keys feel when I press down on the keys, the fact that the stupid media buttons are at the top of the keyboard and out of the way, it's kinda heavy which means it's doesn't slide around easily, and since my table space is somewhat limited I like that when I put keyboard's legs up it raises it higher than on a few other keyboards I've seen. So I can have the back of the keyboard overlap my monitor's stand a little bit which means I can have it pushed back towards the back of my desk an inch farther than on other keyboards I've seen and therefore position my hands in a more comfortable position.

ndefontenay
January 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I live in a hot country and without air conditioning well anyone around a computer tends to sweat a bit.

I usually keep my hardware until the black mouse and white keyboard turns transparent and I can see the wire inside.

Mouses used to be quickly inefficient due to dirt but the avent of the laser changed that.

Khakilang
January 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I got a few keyboard. The oldest is about 9 years old. The one I voted is the latest I own.

Eisenwinter
January 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
The keyboard I use now is around 5 years old.

F1y3r3
January 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
My keyboard is going to be 20 years old this year. I'm using this keyboard because I can't afford a new mechanical one.

Rhapsody
January 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9008/1002983scaled.th.png (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/1002983scaled.png/)

It's a Unicomp Customizer (http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html) (105-key, UK English layout), the date on the back says "7/2/2009" (which I assume to mean 2nd June 2009, given that it was made in the USA), it cost me about £50 in total, and it's great.

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I change keyboards on a regular basis whenever build a new system for myself I change the keyboard/mouse too, that way I always have spare keyboards/mice to go with old systems if I reuse them, give them away or sell them.

hessiess
January 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Around 2 years old, Havent used a mouse for over a year(keyboard does everything) but I do have a tablet for graphics.

blueturtl
January 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Original Keytronic AT (286/386) keyboard at my fingertips. I prefer it because

1) Superior construction to new keyboards
2) Superior feel and tactile response when compared to new keyboards
3) Can handle more simultaneous keypresses than new keyboards
4) No Windows or other useless "special keys" cluttering up the board

Lepodo
January 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Just bought a brand new Razer Arctosa yesterday. I had a gift voucher for EB games and since I don't play games anymore, I bought a good keyboard and mouse. They are gaming keyboards, but I just use it as a regular keyboard.

hessiess
January 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM

The `windows', or super key does not have to be useless, map it to create keyboard short cuts for launching applications.

Bölvağur
January 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM

yeah... the moment you start mentioning shower habits you'll get some mods wetting them selfs laughing and then be banned by another.

samh785
January 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
seeing as how my keyboard is on my new laptop, yes its less than 2 years old

blueturtl
January 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
The `windows', or super key does not have to be useless, map it to create keyboard short cuts for launching applications.

True, but it would still have a Windows logo on it and I won't have that. Not in my house. ;)

benj1
January 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Original Keytronic AT (286/386) keyboard at my fingertips. I prefer it because

1) Superior construction to new keyboards
2) Superior feel and tactile response when compared to new keyboards
3) Can handle more simultaneous keypresses than new keyboards

i have an old HP (?) branded keyboard that looks exactly like that, it was very good, unfortunately it has an old connector that i don't have a connector for.

cascade9
January 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Currently using some HP keyboard I picked up where I used to work. I got it in 2003, and it was an extra (kept as a spare by some IT department) so its probably at least 8, and probably 10 years old.

I use a IBM model M circa 1984. Works like great just really loud.

I'm still gettign over having my Model M stolen by a dodgy flatmate. Amazing keyboards.

i have an old HP (?) branded keyboard that looks exactly like that, it was very good, unfortunately it has an old connector that i don't have a connector for.

You need one of these-

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Female-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B0002J1I46

Eisenwinter
January 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm still gettign over having my Model M stolen by a dodgy flatmate. Amazing keyboards.
What kind of a heartless person would still a keyboard?

cascade9
January 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
What kind of a heartless person would still a keyboard?

I dont know. It could have been one of the 3 of them-

1- the flatmate who thought I was sleeping with his girlfriend. (no, I wasnt)
2- the other flatmate who I caught stealing my weed (which made me move out)
3- the Kleptomaniac flatmate who would steal anything not nailed down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptomania

alexfish
January 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
its a turbo x wing keyboard rs232 With ps2 converter

it drinks tea and coffee

eats any kind of snack and does not hick or burb

original Colour Biege ...... Now Classy Black , but not shiny black

ratcheer
January 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
My keyboards are old. They work, so I keep using them. But, my computers are old, too. They work, so I keep using them, too.

HappyFeet
January 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM

I use the super key all the time. Ctrl + Super + mouse wheel changes the font sizes in firefox. Super + N reverses the colors of any window in focus. (good for late night sessions) I'm sure there are many other uses too.

Desert Sailor
January 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I am (still) the proud owner of an original IBM Lexmark Keyboard manufactured 10/10/95. Clicky keys with the buckling spring action. I love it, it doesn't have the giant enter key, so the back slash is in the proper position, AND best of all, it doesn't have any of thsoe damn "windows" keys on it. It does have the PS2 plug, but I also have another old keyboard with the big plug and adaptor.

Sure, the keys are dirty and I clean them every year, the center keys are polished smooth by my fingertips and the space bar has a slight depression in it where my thumb hits it between every word. But it's still going strong, every key works every time.

dragos240
January 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Lol i dunno.