PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to Combine Top & Bottom Bars?

clevertomato
January 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I don't know the proper names if they have proper names, but how can I combine the functionality of the bottom bar with the top bar in Gnome? With my 16:10 LCD I need all the vertical space I can get, so I need to combine them. Also, I'm currently using a theme (bisigi orange) that has the bars separate; is there a way to combine them without changing themes?

bluelamp999
January 7th, 2010, 04:35 AM
In Ubuntu they're called panels!

You can add all the panel items that are on the bottom panel to the top panel and then delete the bottom panel.

E.g. the bottom panel usually has the 'Show Desktop', 'Window List' and 'Workspace Switcher' panel items. If you right-click on you top panel and select 'Add to Panel...' you can add these items to your top panel, move them to where you want them to be (right-click on the item and select 'Move') and when you're happy with their placement right-click on the item and select 'Lock to Panel' to anchor the item.

Then just right click anywhere on the bottom panel and select 'Delete this Panel'.

Hope this helps...

clevertomato
January 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I knew it was a REALLY simple question with a simple answer when I asked it, but hey, I've spent most of my time figuring out technical stuff about ubuntu thus far instead of aesthetics. Now that I finally have my ATI GPU working great on my new Dell Studio, I decided it was time to settle in and make things LOOK a little nicer.

Thanks! (So THAT'S what people are talking about when they refer to panels in Ubuntu! *laughing at myself*)