PDA

View Full Version : Donate to Ubuntu = Get cool stuff (...idea)

LsrLine
February 28th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Nothing new really, but I think this would be pretty cool.

$35 Dollar Donation get you...
1. a T-shirt
2. a cool (how about 3) "Designed for Ubuntu" case badge as seen here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71614) ,
3. a sticker for the good ol bumper
4. Might as well through in some Ubuntu CD's
5. The Ubuntu Card (good for 6 or 12 months)- just a business card with your name and a ubuntu donator # - maybe have this card do something cool like discounts on more case badges (i dunno, any ideas?)
6. Some letter saying thank you and how cool you are.

I think if the Ubuntu Team or maybe create a Donations Team and have them work on a non-profit as well to start finding/taking donations. If the cards are played right total cost should be < $15 with shipping for all of this leaving a > $20 Donation. Shipping would be easy too given the fact they should all fit in a free UPS or FedEx envolope.
Sorry if this has already happened. I'm pretty new here, but I think we'd do a lot better rather then having everything through cafepress. This would be something I would totaly do as I'd assume other too because it doesn't break the bank!

Adrenal
February 28th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Either buy stuff and donate that way(ubuntu does earn money from this, i think), or just donate.
You're ideas, while still attractive, would really negate any donation made to ubuntu. I think we might do better to take this idea, and offer virtual stuff. One idea is the .mac membership type thing for ubuntu that was on digg a while ago (don't worry ubuntu, i'll still donate and expect nothing more then releases in return)

K.Mandla
February 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM
So long as we're on the subject, where can I buy an Ubuntu T-shirt (aside from this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Linux-Penguin-T-Shirt-S-2xl-Red-Hat-Mandrake-Ubuntu_W0QQitemZ8385867820QQcategoryZ15687QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), which is cool, but not exactly what I was looking for)? or bumper sticker (for my bicycle, as I don't have a car)?

briancurtin
February 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
what ever happened to donations being donations?

GreyFox503
February 28th, 2006, 08:07 AM
what ever happened to donations being donations?
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll still accept donations straight up.

http://www.ubuntu.com/donations

As for the need to sell a donation package: simply to get more people to donate.

dtfinch
February 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Mugs are always nice. I have a nice gnome mug. Unfortunately KDE had no KDE mugs to offer.

The FSF sent me a business card sized LiveCD with my name on it which had a chemical reaction with the plastic sleeve it came in, fogging it up and making it unbootable within about a month. A few months later it snapped as well.

K.Mandla
February 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Now about ten of us will run to the local T-shirt/bumper sticker/mug shop tomorrow and start selling Ubuntu gear on eBay. :rolleyes: