PDA

View Full Version : 10 feet computing WM

CharmyBee
January 7th, 2010, 02:10 AM
All of these WMs are designed for up-and-close keyboard/mouse interfaces. Where's the 'media center' style WM, where a remote or even gamepad is used to control a simplified interface from feet away? Microsoft has an entire OS built around the idea, why doesn't Linux?

XBMC and other 'media centers' that currently exist are programs that sit on top of another shell that just run streaming video and play songs. To me that's not really good enough in terms of versatility since those aren't designed to open/run programs with complete transparency like a game console system, so gaming/browsing could also be done from a distance.

Sorry, I have a good computer, a comfy bed and a bad chair, and excessive amounts of cordless input dustgathering devices, and everything I find for linux is just a media player program on top of a shell.

Dark Aspect
January 7th, 2010, 02:12 AM

Have you tried to make the font bigger?

dragos240
January 7th, 2010, 02:15 AM

Have you tried to make the font bigger?

I don't like big text.
I like small text.

Xbehave
January 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Because you don't want a window manager, when worknig at a distance you want one window full screen.
XBMC, mythTV, etc all support gaming/browsing/etc with remote/gamepad, they offer all the functionality of the xbox "WM" (unless they are lacking the HUD, i dunno I've never used them much), yet you dismiss them as not "WM enough". What you seam to want isn't a WM, it's a lack of WM + a pannel that can be summoned on a keypress, i'm sure just about any window manager can manage that.

CharmyBee
January 7th, 2010, 03:01 AM
But if XBMC/Mythtv crashes to desktop (which is perfectly capable of doing so), that means you have to get up to the computer and start it again!

Also, by games, I don't mean MAME or emulators. I mean just any native program, like being able to start xjump by remote.