PDA

View Full Version : "I want ubuntu"-"ubuntu is so cool"

fitzy4144
January 7th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Word I have wanted to hear for a long time. I was talking to some friends about civil liberty's in America.(interesting topic) And we managed to begin talking about software. I was surprised to learn that my nontech friends know what openoffice and Linux was when mentioned it, one of them even said that she wanted to get Ubuntu installed after she got rid of windows. Has anyone else notices more awareness of opensource/linux products lately? I wonder if its a local thing, hope not.

-Fitz

felious_fadger
January 7th, 2010, 01:04 AM
no. i tried recommending linux to friends/family and they either were too scared to use it or linux screwed up. usually xorg and pulseaudio >_>

alakazam
January 7th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I was recently walking into ASDA and heard two young lads talking positively about Ubuntu.

Bright_View
January 7th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I've had mixed results. A few of my friends have adopted it and loved it, some of them (and most of my family) won't go near it despite all of the benefits I tell them about. It seems to correlate with the individual's aptitude for computers.

joey-elijah
January 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Oddly, yeah!

I took my netbook (when it was still alive, sob) to the pub a few months back and it has a giant "ubuntu" sticker on the front and quite a few people passed by asking me about it. it was almost like a mini tech-help session with random strangers asking how i got Ubuntu on it, where did i buy it, they tried to run it once but couldn't get 'example' to work, etc.

Quite odd. (In a good way!)

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 7th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Has anyone else notices more awareness of opensource/linux products lately?

Not among people I actually know.

I have noticed an increasing number of posts in the "Absoluter Beginner Talk", "General Help", and "Installation & Upgrades" subforms about problems with WUBI installs.

That suggests to me that more people are aware of Linux, and want to give it a go.

I'm still not convinced that WUBI is a good thing for Ubuntu to be officially supporting. I don't see a lot of us helping them. I for one know very little about solving problems these people are having with WUBI installs. I use traditional installs or VM.

k64
January 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Considering that I am a GNU/Linux/Ubuntu power user at 16, wouldn't be surprised.

earthpigg
January 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I'm still not convinced that WUBI is a good thing for Ubuntu to be officially supporting. I don't see a lot of us helping them. I for one know very little about solving problems these people are having with WUBI installs. I use traditional installs or VM.

that is an outstanding point.

i think a lot of folks helping on the forums have never used wubi. i don't even have a windows install to try it on, if i felt so inclined.

kerrylee
January 7th, 2010, 04:11 AM
:)

lisati
January 7th, 2010, 04:15 AM
no. i tried recommending linux to friends/family and they either were too scared to use it or linux screwed up. usually xorg and pulseaudio >_>

Some of my in-laws aren't even savvy enough to keep malware off their computers. Earlier today I hooked up a HDD camera used by some family members to my Vista installation, and AVG almost immediately started spitting out threat alerts. It almost makes sense: I recently reinstalled XP on the PC they use after it broke and spent some time making sure their data was accessible. Perhaps I the next time I'm over at their place I'll arrange a full scan for malware on it.

steveneddy
January 7th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm still not convinced that WUBI is a good thing for Ubuntu to be officially supporting. ...... I use traditional installs or VM.

I agree - I always suggest that the user not use Wubi and try it in a VM instead.

Of course there are the Wubi fans that just don't understand I guess.

I really don't try and sell Ubuntu or Linux very much now days, and my exposure to tech related jobs is limited lately.

My close friends are aware of Ubuntu, that I use it, and they seem interested but are reluctant to install it due to insufficient technical knowledge and my lack of interest in troubleshooting their issues after the install.

jayze
January 7th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Put it this way....currently blackmailing the offspring cos they so desperate for Ubuntu (its Kool) teehee......even the old fogies get tempted if you give them a demo...but yeah its getting to be quite the rage in Europe:D

k64
January 7th, 2010, 04:21 AM
It turns out my fellow teenagers know about Macs, but not Linux. However, they will soon, thanks to Google (very likely) pushing Ubuntu and creating millions of Ubuntu fanboys.

Google already knows Canonical dearly, having partnered with them and using Canonical's codebase to build Chrome OS. Ubuntu was created by Canonical, and Chrome OS was a joint effort. Like I said before: Expect to see ads for Ubuntu in Gmail.

Gizenshya
January 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
... civil liberty's ...

wtf are those? :confused: :confused: