PDA

View Full Version : Best for beginners?

MojaJedina
January 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I am learning c + +. Im in college. We work in Visual C + +. Is is best for beginners to first learn c++ on the Visual C + + or they can learn c + + on linux / ubuntu? What you recommend?

Hellkeepa
January 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM
HELLo!

I'd recommend ISO C++, preferably on Linux. However, that depends entierly upon what OS you're going to develop for. If you're primarily/only going to develop Windows applications, then Visual C++ is the best option. If you're never going to do any Windows programming, then VC++ is a waste (more or less).

Happy codin'!

dwhitney67
January 7th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I am learning c + +. Im in college. We work in Visual C + +. Is is best for beginners to first learn c++ on the Visual C + + or they can learn c + + on linux / ubuntu? What you recommend?

I took a C++ course at a CC back in '97. All my classmates were stuck in the school lab doing their work under Visual C++. I on the other hand, was not taking the course for a grade (I already had my BES degree in CompSci), thus I told the instructor that I would be doing my work under Linux.

Generally my projects (ie. code) were delivered via floppy, but for the final project, I had to present to the instructor a running version of the code. I simply brought my laptop (which was running Linux) to the classroom.

You do what you think is best. Eventually, you will (hopefully) graduate and start looking for a job. A lot of companies use M$ and all of the costly tools that come with it; other companies use Unix/Linux.

I've been working in the s/w development arena for 22 years now; only 6 months of that time did I "waste" it developing under M$. But for $65/hour, I would work with an abacus if so needed.

worseisworser
January 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
If you're really learning C/C++ (the language) and not, say, a lot of Visual C/C++ specific C/C++ (focus on the details of one particular implementation of the language) in your course it should not matter what compiler or OS you use as opposed to what the teacher uses since standard C/C++ is the same regardless.

I would very much doubt that any C/C++ course will focus on a lot of Visual C/C++ specific things, and if it did I'd say it was a pretty bad course since C/C++ is really quite interesting in a Linux context seeing as one on embedded type platforms tends to use Linux and C/C++. That is to say you'd miss out on a lot of potential opportunities if the majority of the focus of the course was spent on Visual C/C++ specific details instead of generic C/C++ -- but again I doubt this is the case so I wouldn't worry too much either way.

Albin_Crews
January 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I recommend for c++ It has a good future now a days. Now a days many people are looking for computer related jobs. By the way have anyone heard of http://cloudslam10.com they provide a cloud computing conference, it is about the latest trends and changes in the cloud computing. It is more useful for the It and computing professionals.

nvteighen
January 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, if you're forced to learn C++ as your first language (which, IMO, is a disastrous decision... Search these forums for lots of pages of discussion about this), the best is to go for the standard language and avoid any compiler-specific stuff. This goes also for GCC-specific stuff, of course: You're learning C++, not "[some prefix] C++".

The Secret
January 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
The only real difference are the IDEs - on Linux you'll have to use an alternative, like NetBeans, Geany, ...

aklo
January 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Hi

I'll be taking c# in a web developing course in school is it good?

I mean c# and c++ are they related? If yes which came out first and i suppose that the one who came out later is the "newer and better" one?

dwhitney67
January 8th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Hi

I'll be taking c# in a web developing course in school is it good?

I mean c# and c++ are they related? If yes which came out first and i suppose that the one who came out later is the "newer and better" one?

Cool! I will be in school too! My favorite color is blue. I also like to take notes in science class. Isn't school so much fun!

SigmaSanti
January 8th, 2010, 02:34 AM
There is a sticky for something similar to this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867
good luck :)

matthew.ball
January 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM
If you're beginning your C++ journey, I would recommend, though it may be daunting at first, to try writing your source files in a plain editor (anything will do), and then compiling the source(s) by hand. Perhaps even look into Makefiles.

An IDE is great, but it often gives new coders expectations which won't [easily] be met.

I think it's important to understand the compilation process and then after you have understood this, it makes using an IDE even more efficient.