PDA

View Full Version : Karmic 9.10 is amazing!

cacycleworks
January 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I am VERY impressed by Ubuntu 9.10!! I was a kde/kubuntu guy until they borkd it with kde4.

This latest time I tried gnome/ubuntu with 9.10 really hit home with how everything JUST WORKS. I have rolled it out at work as we're getting rid of windows.

I have been able to transition staff to ubuntu with only minimal retraining. Open Office is close enough to m$ that they may as well be the same. We've been using Open Office and gimp for a while anyway.

Anyhow, wow, thanks Ubuntu!! :) You've given us an OS that works. An OS that doesn't restart every time you change a subtle setting or install something. And OS that will be there tomorrow and work just like it did today.

:) Chris

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I was a kde/kubuntu guy until they borkd it with kde4.

The Kubuntu team like many, decided to foolishly just put KDE 4 in there before it was really. I definitely recommend you try KDE 4.2 or 4.3 as they are up to the same standards more or less that you were used to with KDE 3.x, word of advice, don't choose Kubuntu to try this.

Open Office is close enough to m$ that they may as well be the same. We've been using Open Office and gimp for a while anyway.

OpenOffice is great for a lot of people, I've given it to plenty of people who needed an office suite but couldn't afford Microsoft Office. However if you use it a lot (I've found this with Calc mainly) there are features lacking. Also I recommend against using the term "M$".