PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu from other partition or Recovery partition

donniezazen
January 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hello,

I did some search but could not find proper thread so i am starting a new one.

I want to set aside a few GB which i can use as a recovery partition from which i can reinstall Ubuntu anytime. I don't want it to back up my system but i just want it to reinstall everything or use it like live CD or USB.

Thanks,
SK.

gordintoronto
January 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
If you have a DVD writer, it would be easier to use remastersys to make an iso that includes all the software you have installed, then burn that to a DVD. (Assuming you don't have more than 4 GB compressed of software installed, or 8 GB if you have a Dual Layer burner...)

You could even use the DVD to run your environment on another computer.

donniezazen
January 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
If you have a DVD writer, it would be easier to use remastersys to make an iso that includes all the software you have installed, then burn that to a DVD. (Assuming you don't have more than 4 GB compressed of software installed, or 8 GB if you have a Dual Layer burner...)

You could even use the DVD to run your environment on another computer.

I do not want to use DVD, i want to have a partition in my hard drive from which i can install Ubuntu whenever or wherever i want. And i can also use Ubuntu Customization kit to even enhance the live cd.

k.mooijman
January 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM
i imagen you should accomplish this by making a partition the same size as the install cd and decompress the iso to this partition
in the grub you give the lines to the rood ; kernel and initrd.lz file
to start it

now a similar question :
i have a old computer i want to give to my son. i want to have a partition with a copy of my working instalation so that is he messes up i do not have to install evrything but just can copy the partition before boot

sombody any idears ?

k.mooijman
January 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM
an ather optionis :
you could instal a PXE server on an old computer if your computer has a lancard with boot rom

this PXEserver can hold diferent distributions for instaling
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallMultiDistro

good luck

slakkie
January 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
now a similar question :
i have a old computer i want to give to my son. i want to have a partition with a copy of my working instalation so that is he messes up i do not have to install evrything but just can copy the partition before boot

sombody any idears ?

Have a look at clonezilla, only issue could be if the partitions have a different size, clonezilla doesn't support resizing. That is something you need to do yourself. restoring an image to a smaller disk is not possible.

If you have any questions about clonezilla, their mailing list is very active: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clonezilla-live