PDA

View Full Version : 9.10 & 8.04 package manager

trixman
January 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
a quick question on the package manager in 9.10 a friend had in the package manager a database program called "GCSTAR" the newest version, but in 8.04 hardy heron it has the old version any reason why they don't put the newer versions in 8.04
looking to run it in 8.04 hardy heron

thanks

FuturePilot
January 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Because Ubuntu freezes its repositories at release time meaning only bug fixes and security updates are allowed in.

jonest1
January 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The reason for the freeze are multiple.

Imagine that appA is upgraded from v3 to v4, which now requires libB to be upgraded from v1 to v2, which now requires appC and appD to be upgraded as well. It gets a bit messy.

Rolling distributions are distros which do not have proper releases like Ubuntu. There can be complications, but there are fans.

snowpine
January 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM
8.04 = April 2008. All of the applications in Hardy are at least 20 months old.

That does not stop you from installing a newer version of the application yourself, obviously... just that you will not receive it through the regular repository updates.

NoaHall
January 6th, 2010, 10:17 PM
8.04 = April 2008. All of the applications in Hardy are at least 20 months old.

That does not stop you from installing a newer version of the application yourself, obviously... just that you will not receive it through the regular repository updates.

No they aren't. The packages in LTS versions are update regularly. I think hardy might be on v4 or v3 right now.

FuturePilot
January 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
No they aren't. The packages in LTS versions are update regularly. I think hardy might be on v4 or v3 right now.

What? It's well known that the repos are frozen at release.

snowpine
January 6th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Hardy is currently on 8.04.03, and all of its applications continue to be "frozen" at their April 2008 versions (except for bug fixes and security patches of course).

You will never see Firefox 3.5, OpenOffice 3, Gnome 2.28, etc. in the main Hardy repositories. LTS = Long Term Support; updating to the latest apps would defeat this goal.

NoaHall
January 6th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Hardy is currently on 8.04.03, and all of its applications continue to be "frozen" at their April 2008 versions (except for bug fixes and security patches of course).

You will never see Firefox 3.5, OpenOffice 3, Gnome 2.28, etc. in the main Hardy repositories. LTS = Long Term Support; updating to the latest apps would defeat this goal.

Oh, oops. I thought we were talking about bug fixes.

Xbehave
January 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
if you enable the backports repo you get some newer software.

Twitch6000
January 6th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Rolling distributions are distros which do not have proper releases like Ubuntu. There can be complications, but there are fans.

Since when is a 6 month cycle "proper"?

I myself find rolling releases alot more stable and useable compared to the crappy release style of ubuntu.

Infact thinking about it ubuntu is about the only distro I know of where you can't get offical updates when using an older version.

I know Fedora can by enabled a repo. Same with Opensuse and its 8 month cycle.

If you ask me its Ubuntu that is not proper.

snowpine
January 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Since when is a 6 month cycle "proper"?

Ubuntu's 6 month cycle is closely tied with Gnome's. There is a perfectly good reason for the decision, whether or not you agree with the quality of the results.

markinf
January 6th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Ubuntu's 6 month cycle is closely tied with Gnome's. There is a perfectly good reason for the decision, whether or not you agree with the quality of the results.

Thats why I moved to Arch.
IMO 6 months IS A LOT in time for a desktop distro :/
Not for servers though (In fact in our work we run centos, which is like the most outdated (but stable) stuff =D).

jonest1
January 7th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I did not use the word proper in the context you have taken. So, another way I would have said it is as follows.

Rolling distributions are distros which do not have 'formal' releases like Ubuntu. There can be complications, but there are fans.

I really do not have an opinion of rolling vs. point release schedules. In Ubuntu, I have the ability to stay on a stable version or upgrade, so, I'm good.

The original question is valid and I was looking to contribute to the discussion. Thanks for your input.