PDA

View Full Version : Got my sub, wondering how hard it can be pushed ?

djmh
January 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hey, just got my bazooka installed - and I am wondering a few things, first of all I was wondering how hard it can be pushed ?

The sub was installed by a certified bazooka installer,and what he told me was that the sub itself is tuned - and I can just play around with the hu to get it to sound how it like it .... He said push it, but bAck off when there's distortion - so my question is this: when I'm sitting in the front sit with thesub cranked, it sounds great... Exactly how I want - not distorted at all just nice clean bass ..... But here's the thing, when I open up the trunk I can hear vibrating and buzzing, is this beacause I'm pushing the sub too hard ?
Or is it just plastic, and the ums vibrating ?
I know a little nit of it was the plastic gaurd thing on the front... Cause when I Held it Down some stopped.... Later I can unscrew the ums, and front gaurd - but I would rather not .... So I guess I'm asking is it ok to keep pushing the sub where I have it ?
Or am I pushing it too hard ?
And if it is too hard how am I supposed to know... Considering it sounds great in the front seat ?
Like, what should I be listening for while up front that would let me know to turn down my sub ?

The other thing is was wondering. Was: there seems to be vocals coming out of the sub ?
Is that how Its supposed to be ?
Can I make it have only bass ?
Or does that not really matter ?

Thanks for the help !!*

Btw, i have the * *BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D amplified tube

djmh
January 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Btw, the ums is this metal mounting system that holds the sub ...

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
you can push it till you hear distortion just like your installer said with no problems, just push a little at a time and don't be pressing any bass boost or similar buttons when you have the system cranked.

as far as rattling, don't worry about it unless it's noticeable inside the cabin. i'm sure it's not hard to tighten it down anyway.

regarding vocals, you'll probably hear a little leak through, but it shouldn't be significant. if still in doubt, bring back to installer and point that out - maybe the crossover setting is too high.

djmh
January 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, it all sounds good in the front seat, even with the sub turned all the way up, so I'm not too worried about it - and I cant even hear the vocal leak in the front seat ... So it's probably not a big deal... It's only when you open up the trunk .... But is there anything in specific I should look out for... Listen for I guess - I mean I think I'll recognize distortion ?
But anything I should look out for, as far as when I should back off ? I guess not just my sub but also my regular speakers, cause I'll be pushing them harder too now ..... There not stock, Polk momos
I have them set to -7 for their bass and +2 for their treble...

Thanks for the help !
Loving my sub.... Now that I got a taste for what it's like, I think I'm going to go bigger on my next car, I'm just kinda getting it all figured out with this one :)

djmh
January 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM
What does changing the cross over do though ?
Cause I can pretty clearly hear the vocals when the trunk is open - is that bad ?
Cause I can tweak the crossover, but what will that change ?
Cause if it won't affect the sub badly or give less bass beacause o it, then I don't really care ... But if getting rid of The vocals more will give me more bass, or prevent me from ruining my sub... Then I would want to mess around with it - if not, then I'm sure they set it fine ...

pwnst*r
January 7th, 2010, 12:51 AM
What does changing the cross over do though ?
Cause I can pretty clearly hear the vocals when the trunk is open - is that bad ?
Cause I can tweak the crossover, but what will that change ?
Cause if it won't affect the sub badly or give less bass beacause o it, then I don't really care ... But if getting rid of The vocals more will give me more bass, or prevent me from ruining my sub... Then I would want to mess around with it - if not, then I'm sure they set it fine ...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y7SSXFVbl2T/learn/learningcenter/car/crossovers_faq.html

djmh
January 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
is there anything in specific I should look out for... Listen for I guess - I mean I think I'll recognize distortion ?
But anything I should look out for, as far as when I should back off ? I guess not just my sub but also my regular speakers, cause I'll be pushing them harder too now ..... There not stock, Polk momos
I have them set to -7 for their bass and +2 for their treble...
what should i be listening for, beacuase i would like to keep their bass at 0, but i dont want to push them too much.

Thanks for the help !
Loving my sub.... Now that I got a taste for what it's like, I think I'm going to go bigger on my next car, I'm just kinda getting it all figured out with this one

cool, thanks for the link - i read up on a bunch of things now...i was at work earlier - so i couldnt really google much, and i wanted to check before i destroyed my sub on the way home lol !

any suggestions about the distortion and that type of stuff though ?
all i can really find is just listen for distortion..and i guess thats it ?
thanks so much though man !!

pwnst*r
January 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Yep - you'll hear it start to get "muddy" and just not sound clean anymore...it's all about training your ear, so you may as well start now :D

djmh
January 7th, 2010, 03:27 AM
yeah, ive just been playing around with it - i can get it really loud, but not distorted...i think its at its best - but is it ok to push it at its loudest for long periods of time ?

basically i get the sub turned all the way up, sounding good ..and the speaker bass i play with to just below where it starts sounding wrong - its really loud, but still clean - so i can play it like that for an extended time ?

djmh
January 7th, 2010, 03:29 AM
but yah, ill get it all figured out ...hopefully it will kick around for five years or so...till im done with college, and ill get a real amp sub, and speakers - so i know exactly what im getting and where they can be pushed to :)

thanks for getting me started though !!

pwnst*r
January 7th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Welcome to the world of mobile audio. You may get hooked - just sayin.