PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Delete Ubuntu, but keep the GRUB

M4up
January 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hello all,

First let me explain my situation.
I made a partition for Ubuntu to install on, but unfortunately Ubuntu did not recognize it. So it installed on my main partition.
Anyway, I checked to make sure that there was nothing on my new made partition and I then deleted it. (There where 0 bytes used)
My computer needed to reboot and then I got a GRUB error saying the GRUB could not be found..
So lucky for me I still had the Ubuntu CD, so I just installed Ubuntu again to install the GRUB (2 times now). So now I have 1x Windows and 2x Ubuntu.
So my question is: how do I get the last installed Ubuntu version deleted from my hard-drive without deleting the GRUB? Because I need the GRUB to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu.

Thank you for reading,
Maup.

oldos2er
January 7th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Are you saying you have Ubuntu installed twice? Could you boot from either one, and post the output from
sudo fdisk -l ?

efflandt
January 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I had a somewhat similar issue with both 32-bit 9.10 on sda3 and 64-bit on sda6 (with standard mbr, grub2 on sda3 marked as boot, configured from 64-bit on sda6). Somehow kernel updates on 32-bit 9.10 it took over grub2 on sda3, so it could no longer be updated from 64-bit ubuntu on sda6.

A web search for "grub2 ubuntu" found the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2, and from that I found that I could get it back to setting up grub on sda3 from 64-bit on sda6 by doing sudo grub-install /dev/sda3 from 64-bit on the other partition.

But of course if your grub2 is in the mbr of your main drive, you should boot the ubuntu you want to keep, and do sudo grub-install /dev/sda from there. Then sudo update-grub should work from there, and you should be able to remove or change the partition you no longer want. But before removing/reformatting any partitions, make sure that the top of the grub menu boots to the ubuntu you want to keep and the alternate linux menu options farther down point to the partition you want to remove. After you remove or reformat the unwanted partition, "sudo update-grub" should no long show the removed partition.

M4up
January 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Are you saying you have Ubuntu installed twice? Could you boot from either one, and post the output from
sudo fdisk -l ?

Yes I can boot from either one.
Here are the results (it's in Dutch, so if you cant understand any of it just say so and I will try to translate):
Schijf /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 koppen, 63 sectoren/spoor, 38913 cilinders
Eenheid = cilinders van 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Schijf-ID: 0x64862885

Apparaat Opstart Begin Einde Blokken ID Systeem
/dev/sda1 * 1 26125 209848038+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 26126 38913 102719610 5 Uitgebreid
/dev/sda5 32505 38645 49327551 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 38646 38913 2152678+ 82 Linux wisselgeheugen
/dev/sda7 26126 32237 49094577 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 32238 32504 2144646 82 Linux wisselgeheugen

Partitietabel-items liggen niet in schijfvolgorde.

VastOne
January 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hello all,

First let me explain my situation.
I made a partition for Ubuntu to install on, but unfortunately Ubuntu did not recognize it. So it installed on my main partition.
Anyway, I checked to make sure that there was nothing on my new made partition and I then deleted it. (There where 0 bytes used)
My computer needed to reboot and then I got a GRUB error saying the GRUB could not be found..
So lucky for me I still had the Ubuntu CD, so I just installed Ubuntu again to install the GRUB (2 times now). So now I have 1x Windows and 2x Ubuntu.
So my question is: how do I get the last installed Ubuntu version deleted from my hard-drive without deleting the GRUB? Because I need the GRUB to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu.

Thank you for reading,
Maup.

If you are wanting to get back to a Windows only machine you do not need grub

Follow this thread

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=777135

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
If you are wanting to get back to a Windows only machine you do not need grub

Follow this thread

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=777135

I believe the OP wants to get rid of only one Ubuntu.

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yes I can boot from either one.
Here are the results (it's in Dutch, so if you cant understand any of it just say so and I will try to translate):
Schijf /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 koppen, 63 sectoren/spoor, 38913 cilinders
Eenheid = cilinders van 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Schijf-ID: 0x64862885

Apparaat Opstart Begin Einde Blokken ID Systeem
/dev/sda1 * 1 26125 209848038+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 26126 38913 102719610 5 Uitgebreid
/dev/sda5 32505 38645 49327551 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 38646 38913 2152678+ 82 Linux wisselgeheugen
/dev/sda7 26126 32237 49094577 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 32238 32504 2144646 82 Linux wisselgeheugen

Partitietabel-items liggen niet in schijfvolgorde.

You'll notice at the bottom of the fdisk -l output it says "Partition table entries are not in disk order", but if the partitions are actually:

sda1-sda3-sda5-sda6-sda7-sda8

And sda1 is windows, sda3 is extended, sda5 & sda6 are the root and swap partitions for one Ubuntu, and sda7 & sda8 are the root and swap partitions for the other Ubuntu then you need to figure out which Ubuntu you wish to keep.

Because moving or resizing SWAP causes UUID problems (we can fix it but why bother if not necessary) it would be easier to keep the Ubuntu that uses the SWAP that's furthest to the right in Gparted.

So first just take a look, if you haven't already done so install gparted (don't use it to make any changes just yet):

sudo apt-get install gparted

You'll then find it in System > Administration:

I know mine is a bloody mess but thought it might help you understand. You can see from the keychains toward the left that sda11, 12, 9 & 2 are mounted (note: I have a separate /home).

So if you look at yours you should be able to see which Ubuntu you're booted into, which swap is being used, etc. If in fact sda7 and sda8 are "married" and they are the furthest to the right they would be the easiest to keep.

Are you able to boot both Ubuntu's? Do you prefer one over the other?

Basically if you delete the one you don't want while mounted into the one you do want Gparted will stop you from deleting the one that is mounted, then you would have to boot a Live CD choosing "Try without changes .." and use Gparted from the Live Desktop to resize the Ubuntu you kept.

Notes of warning: If you move or resize SWAP you will probably have UUID problems, like SWAP won't mount at boot and you'll lose the "quiet splash".

If your Windows is Vista or Win 7 it is best to resize it using only it's own tools!

Have I confused you yet?????????

darkod
January 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Depending whether you already started installing programs and personal data on the Ubuntus, I would actually delete both ubuntu installs. You can delete only one, but then you will have that space useless unless you expand the other ubuntu. This can be more complicated for someone new to linux, than another install.
If you decide to delete both of them, do:
Boot with ubuntu cd, Try Ubuntu option. Open Gparted. Both swap partitions you have will probably be mounted, /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda8. Right click on each and select Swapoff, that will make the keys symbol go away and you can work with the partition.
Delete all logical partitions, from /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda8. Then also delete the extended partition, /dev/sda3.
DO NOT create any partitions for ubuntu. Leave the space as unallocated.
Then boot with the ubuntu cd again, select Install Ubuntu, and tell it to use Largest Available Free space. That will install it in the unallocated space you created.

And for future reference, do NOT create partitions for linux in advance, especially if you did it from windows. Maybe that's why you say the installer didn't recognize it. Linux doesn't work like windows and it's more complicated to set it to use existing partitions (if you haven't done it before), than create them during the install.
That's why there is no need to create any partition in advance, even if you want to create them manually do it during the install process. Besides, standard ubuntu setup needs two partitions, root and swap, not just one.

M4up
January 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
You'll notice at the bottom of the fdisk -l output it says "Partition table entries are not in disk order", but if the partitions are actually:

sda1-sda3-sda5-sda6-sda7-sda8

And sda1 is windows, sda3 is extended, sda5 & sda6 are the root and swap partitions for one Ubuntu, and sda7 & sda8 are the root and swap partitions for the other Ubuntu then you need to figure out which Ubuntu you wish to keep.

Because moving or resizing SWAP causes UUID problems (we can fix it but why bother if not necessary) it would be easier to keep the Ubuntu that uses the SWAP that's furthest to the right in Gparted.

So first just take a look, if you haven't already done so install gparted (don't use it to make any changes just yet):

sudo apt-get install gparted

You'll then find it in System > Administration:

I know mine is a bloody mess but thought it might help you understand. You can see from the keychains toward the left that sda11, 12, 9 & 2 are mounted (note: I have a separate /home).

So if you look at yours you should be able to see which Ubuntu you're booted into, which swap is being used, etc. If in fact sda7 and sda8 are "married" and they are the furthest to the right they would be the easiest to keep.

Are you able to boot both Ubuntu's? Do you prefer one over the other?

Basically if you delete the one you don't want while mounted into the one you do want Gparted will stop you from deleting the one that is mounted, then you would have to boot a Live CD choosing "Try without changes .." and use Gparted from the Live Desktop to resize the Ubuntu you kept.

Notes of warning: If you move or resize SWAP you will probably have UUID problems, like SWAP won't mount at boot and you'll lose the "quiet splash".

If your Windows is Vista or Win 7 it is best to resize it using only it's own tools!

Have I confused you yet?????????

Hey,

So I installed GParted and I got this:
[see attachment]

As you can see, I already have some personal files on my first Linux install. So it was fairly easy to recognize sda5+6 as my mount.
So I want to delete sda7+8.
I am able to boot both Ubuntu's. Although I don't know if I delete the last version (sda7+8 ), I also delete the GRUB. Because I need that for dual booting Vista and Ubuntu. Because could it be the other Ubuntu version (first one) doesn't have the GRUB anymore (because of deletion)?
Or is it installed separately from each other?

oldfred
January 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Boot into the version you want to keep. It still has its grub files but the MBR points to the last ubuntu install.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

After you delete your old install you will have to run this to remove the entries from grub.cfg that pointed to the deleted install.
sudo update-grub.

You still have the space used by the second install and as darko said it can be difficult for a new user to expand the existing. You would have to move swap over and then expand the ubuntu partition. If you delete swap the UUID changes and you will not be able to boot without editing the fstab file. It may just be easier to create a new partition and use it for data.

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hey,

So I installed GParted and I got this:
[see attachment]

As you can see, I already have some personal files on my first Linux install. So it was fairly easy to recognize sda5+6 as my mount.
So I want to delete sda7+8.
I am able to boot both Ubuntu's. Although I don't know if I delete the last version (sda7+8 ), I also delete the GRUB. Because I need that for dual booting Vista and Ubuntu. Because could it be the other Ubuntu version (first one) doesn't have the GRUB anymore (because of deletion)?
Or is it installed separately from each other?

While booted into the Ubuntu you want to keep (looks like the one on sda5 & 6) just go to terminal and run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

And:

sudo update-grub

Unless you see errors you'll know that the Ubuntu you're booted into now has control of boot.

Then go ahead and delete the two partitions you don't want, then reboot. Hopefully that'll work fine so just go to terminal and run:

sudo update-grub

That should get rid of the unwanted menu items, then use your Ubuntu Live CD, that is reboot into the Live desktop and expand the Ubuntu partition you kept (I think sda5) to the left.

Since there is data on that partition it could take a while, just be patient and if this is a laptop be sure it's either fully charged or plugged in!

You could experience data loss or the need to reinstall if there is a power outage or such!

M4up
January 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Boot into the version you want to keep. It still has its grub files but the MBR points to the last ubuntu install.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

After you delete your old install you will have to run this to remove the entries from grub.cfg that pointed to the deleted install.
sudo update-grub.

You still have the space used by the second install and as darko said it can be difficult for a new user to expand the existing. You would have to move swap over and then expand the ubuntu partition. If you delete swap the UUID changes and you will not be able to boot without editing the fstab file. It may just be easier to create a new partition and use it for data.

Okay so I did the first sudo command, and it gives me this:
[see attachment]

What do I do now?
I'm sorry if this is really basic stuff. I just started to use Ubuntu. So bare with me please.

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Okay so I did the first sudo command, and it gives me this:
[see attachment]

What do I do now?
I'm sorry if this is really basic stuff. I just started to use Ubuntu. So bare with me please.

Skip that and do what I said in the previous post.

kansasnoob
January 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
In fact I just tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and ran into a load of errors so I had to run:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-pc

And:

sudo update-grub

To straighten things out.

M4up
January 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
While booted into the Ubuntu you want to keep (looks like the one on sda5 & 6) just go to terminal and run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

And:

sudo update-grub

Unless you see errors you'll know that the Ubuntu you're booted into now has control of boot.

Then go ahead and delete the two partitions you don't want, then reboot. Hopefully that'll work fine so just go to terminal and run:

sudo update-grub

That should get rid of the unwanted menu items, then use your Ubuntu Live CD, that is reboot into the Live desktop and expand the Ubuntu partition you kept (I think sda5) to the left.

Since there is data on that partition it could take a while, just be patient and if this is a laptop be sure it's either fully charged or plugged in!

You could experience data loss or the need to reinstall if there is a power outage or such!

Thank you very much!
This did the trick for me :)