PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Freezing Problems

DSteezy
January 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Okay, so I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 to my IBM Thinkpad T41 type 2379.

At first, the major issue was I was having the No Such Device error message, after some research I was able to fix that by setting "Access IBM Predesktop Area:" to DISABLED.

Everything booted normally, and things were going find. I played a bit of Tetris just to test things out, and decided to surf the internet. I opened up Firefox, and things seem to go well as I waited for it to start. Eventually, nothing happened and my whole screen froze/crash. The mouse ceased to move. I then manually turned off the laptop (held the power button).

After that ordeal, I rebooted my laptop, and after going to the Ubuntu flashing logo...I waited, and it freezed again.

I'm not trying to re-install Ubuntu (for over the fourth time) to see if the BIOs settings will finally be the icing on the cake. Has anyone encountered similar problems and solved them? This is my mother laptop and I know she'd be relieved if she could save money without having to purchase a new laptop (it previously crashed after running Windows XP).

mörgæs
January 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM
This could sound like a hardware error. Have you tried running memtest? It takes a while - best is to let it run during the night.

Another easy test is booting on a 9.04 live CD to see if the same problem appears.