PDA

View Full Version : What can Linux do for you?

steveneddy
January 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
check out this new little Linux PC

small enough that is just looks like a wall wart - runs Ubuntu

http://www.plugcomputer.org/

what could we do with this?

ideas?

Bölvağur
January 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
1 usb (and another one for cameras)
1 ethernet plug
1 slot for ssd card
1 power in (usa)

I just dont know.....

steveneddy
January 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Printer server

Home file server (music and docs)

web cam or home surveillance cam server

Access you files at home while at the office or other remote location without having to leave a computer on.

There is even a version of Ubuntu 9.10 that runs on this little plug computer:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Ubuntu_9.0.4_Plug_Computer_Distribution

Here is a $100 (American) plug computer that is ready to run your own personal cloud - without having to keep your PC on all the time.

http://www.tonidoplug.com/

For me this is one of the best things that has ever come along.

I travel for a living and I leave a desktop and my home server on all the time - 24/7 - 365 - just so I can get to files on those machines and to backup securely from the road.

Two of these little plugs with a 500 Gig External HD each would serve my purposes and save me hundreds of dollars a year in electricity costs alone!

This truly exploits the true power of Linux today.

Of course, Android OS on these new phones is cool, too.

Think I might look into a Nexus when they come to Verizon.

running_rabbit07
January 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
It makes me happy. I can get my work done.

mocoloco
January 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, the thing looks cool but I'm drawing a blank on what it could actually be used for.

NoaHall
January 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM
A server. It even says on the website.

Grenage
January 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I really like those, and have been considering a machine along those lines; something I can leave on all the time.

marco123
January 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Don't ask what Linux can do for you, but what you can do for Linux. :)

steveneddy
January 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Don't ask what Linux can do for you, but what you can do for Linux.

Support the community - we purchase Ubuntu swag from the Cannonical site and use System76 hardware.

We donate to DSL and Puppy.

And I will probably purchase a couple of these to play with and eventually use. More if they are actually as good as the web site says they are.

So, yes, what can we do for Linux.

00ber n00b
January 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Support the community - we purchase Ubuntu swag from the Cannonical site and use System76 hardware.

And I will probably purchase a couple of these to play with and eventually use. More if they are actually as good as the web site says they are.

Are contributions to canonical tax deductable? LOL

I read about the sheevaplug in popular science magazine a few months ago. I knew it was only a matter of time before these little servers come along. They seem fairly useful for some situations like replacing some home servers and such...Or the government can use them to plant data servers throughout your community. ;)

chriswyatt
January 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I want one! But I don't know what for?

marco123
January 9th, 2010, 12:44 AM

LOL: It wasn't a personal attack on you OP. The title of the thread reminded me of the old slogan used in a speech by JFK, that's all.:D

Marco.

marco123
January 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Just found it: http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/John_F_Kennedy/5.htm ;)

running_rabbit07
January 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I guess that'll really have people making insurance claims with lightning strikes. I wonder why we didn't cover those in my CCNA Cert.

steveneddy
January 9th, 2010, 04:17 AM
LOL: It wasn't a personal attack on you OP. The title of the thread reminded me of the old slogan used in a speech by JFK, that's all.:D

Marco.

I realize that.

I was just expanding on your thought.

Support the community!

steveneddy
January 9th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I want one! But I don't know what for?

I understand exactly how you feel.