PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How To Install Conky ?

//ro0t
January 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hello Guys ! :) I want to install conky , i need help :( i tryed many ways but they don`t work :(

oldos2er
January 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install conky

If for some reason it doesn't work, please copy and paste the output here.

//ro0t
January 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install conky

If for some reason it doesn't work, please copy and paste the output here.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
conky is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

how i can turn-on it ?

footloose143
January 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds like you already have it installed, just try running "conky" it from your terminal

//ro0t
January 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you already have it installed, just try running "conky" it from your terminal

when i write conky there is this :

Conky: use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none. 'yes' seems to be some form of 'true', so defaulting to right.
Conky: forked to background, pid is 13131
grozn1@grozn1-desktop:~$
Conky: desktop window (20000af) is subwindow of root window (13c)
Conky: window type - override
Conky: drawing to created window (0x6200001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: can't open /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open /proc/apm: No such file or directory

i tryed and wrote this code conky -a top_right but it don`t work too. and there was this error too. what can i do for solve this problem , i like it and i want to use :(

oldos2er
January 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
You might need to create .conkyrc. See http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html , scroll down to Configuration Settings.

footloose143
January 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
when i write conky there is this :

Conky: use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none. 'yes' seems to be some form of 'true', so defaulting to right.
Conky: forked to background, pid is 13131
grozn1@grozn1-desktop:~$
Conky: desktop window (20000af) is subwindow of root window (13c)
Conky: drawing to created window (0x6200001)
Conky: can't open /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open /proc/apm: No such file or directory

i tryed and wrote this code conky -a top_right but it don`t work too. and there was this error too. what can i do for solve this problem , i like it and i want to use :(

Looks like your default conky config file is messed up, try downloading any simple rc file and use

conky -c "Filename" &

//ro0t
January 6th, 2010, 10:52 PM
i can`t create folder or file in conky foder ! i`ve config :S

oldos2er
January 7th, 2010, 02:07 AM
.conkyrc should be in your home folder. touch .conkyrc run in a terminal will create the file, then use gedit or whatever your favorite text editor is to customize it. Suggestions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358302

//ro0t
January 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
thanks everyone for help :)

pratap13
February 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hello Guys ! :) I want to install conky , i need help :( i tryed many ways but they don`t work :(
same prob here . . .plz help :(

faixan
December 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
same prob here . . .plz help :(

make that x2 :( :( :( i just installed conky, every thing was fine before i created the file .conkyrc in home folder, file is there, and apparently the config. i downloaded is also sort of working, the weather is being updated in the "weather" file placed in my home folder, but i see nothing on screen, and when i run conky from terminal this appears;

Conky: .conkyrc: 14: no such configuration: 'border_margin'
Conky: desktop window (16000b3) is subwindow of root window (ad)
Conky: drawing to created window (0x5a00001)

and it stops there till i press Ctrl+C and terminate it... :\
what should i do?

btw, i downloaded this config;

http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/27/gmail-weather-beauty-right-on-your-ubuntu-desktop/

faixan
December 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM
make that x2 :( :( :( i just installed conky, every thing was fine before i created the file .conkyrc in home folder, file is there, and apparently the config. i downloaded is also sort of working, the weather is being updated in the "weather" file placed in my home folder, but i see nothing on screen, and when i run conky from terminal this appears;

Conky: .conkyrc: 14: no such configuration: 'border_margin'
Conky: desktop window (16000b3) is subwindow of root window (ad)
Conky: drawing to created window (0x5a00001)

and it stops there till i press Ctrl+C and terminate it... :\
what should i do?

btw, i downloaded this config;

http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/27/gmail-weather-beauty-right-on-your-ubuntu-desktop/

Got it working, still having issues, but atleast it's working now...

chowanec
December 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I had the same problems under gnome3 -- generally that I would run conky and nothing would happen. It would run in the background, but wouldn't draw anything.

I had to change the window settings from:

own_window_type override

to

own_window_type desktop

And that worked fine for me.

faixan
December 12th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I had the same problems under gnome3 -- generally that I would run conky and nothing would happen. It would run in the background, but wouldn't draw anything.

I had to change the window settings from:

own_window_type override

to

own_window_type desktop

And that worked fine for me.

i've the default Gnome that comes with Maverick Meerkat, i'm having problem with
own_window_type override that whenever i boot my computer, it stays always on top, doesn't effect the maximising of the windows i open but they go behind it, i changed it to desktop, it completely vanished... :s don't know what happen with that... now i've it on normal... don't know if it's working fine yet or not, just sharing an experience.

faixan
December 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
i've the default Gnome that comes with Maverick Meerkat, i'm having problem with
own_window_type override that whenever i boot my computer, it stays always on top, doesn't effect the maximising of the windows i open but they go behind it, i changed it to desktop, it completely vanished... :s don't know what happen with that... now i've it on normal... don't know if it's working fine yet or not, just sharing an experience.

yea, just rebooted and re-configured it all,

own_window_type override doesn't work for me after a reboot, it just stays on top of every thing even keeps the desktop background behind it on top of every thing i open, untill i kill the process and restart conky.
i changed it to

own_window_type desktop
after this just one click on the desktop blank area, and conky's gone... again need to restart conky to see it :(
but

own_window_type normal
is working fine for me now, even though the show desktop controls now work on it, which i don't really want to happen, but i can live with that considering all other options.