PDA

View Full Version : Pimp Ubuntu defaults

b.lyngbakken@casema.nl
January 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
In Lucid Lynx there probably will be no big technical improvements. An LTS is not the right release for that.:sad:
Take the opportunity and renew the default looks of Ubuntu drastically (in the cases that the graphics card can handle it), using proven technology.:smile::confused:
I am thinking of looks mirroring the open character of Ubuntu; therefore choosing a default desktop background symbolizing that (with e.g. water in it as an element in it) and using transparent themes like Glass in Emerald and opacity in Compiz.
To make it extra festive, the 3D cube-elements could be made default too, and maybe even a few new elements in line with this could be developed.
Ubuntu, itīs a lot about technology, but looks and image should not be overlooked!!:razz::razz:

Psumi
January 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
My IBM T41 can't handle compiz, so this won't effect me, to a degree. I just hated it that Ubuntu had compiz on default for my machine, really annoying that I couldn't click on anything if I opened a window of any kind. So I had to run a terminal and purge compiz after replacing it with metacity. Now I'm on a mini install of xfce though, so no problems anymore.

I don't plan on upgrading to a newer laptop though, why? Because I'm content with this machine.

joey-elijah
January 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Opacity in Compiz is horrible and makes applications borderline unusable. Emarald is a long since dead project, too.

Given GTK+ is getting enhancements (including RGBA support and client side window decorating) i wouldn't be surprised if we do see a "pimped out" look for Ubuntu, but i think the "default" is meant to be quite staid and neutral.